Sunday, November 19, 2023

BREAKFAST IN HEAVEN

 4158

I was interacting with a friend by text this afternoon, and somehow, we got on the subject of age. She said, 

"I'm turning 42" and I responded, "I'm an old guy. I'm on the edge of 75" (and) "You're looking into the noon day sun. I'm looking into the sunset."

But you know, age is relative when we consider how momentary this life is. It is like the fog in the morning.

Lately, I have been doing something I have never heard another believer ever told me they do. I have been praying for my unseen, unknown, unnamed, unborn descendants with words such as,

"Lord, would you bless, help, encourage and save my great great great grandchildren, and allow them to impact those You set in their pathway."

I like to think my ancestors, at least a few of them, prayed for me this way a thousand years ago. I'm convinced one or two of them thought of me. I know my Jesus prayed for me. We have only to read the following passage from John Chapter 17:20-23.

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me, and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one, I in them and you in me, so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

And I have no doubt whatsoever that Jesus' prayer, (as well as those of my ancestors) was heard, and answered, since I was blessed to have come to a saving knowledge of the Savior almost 60 years ago.

I treasure my life on earth, and I am fortunate to have outlived so many of my high school classmates. But, at the same time, I know this isn't all there is. Speaking of the Apostle John, he also reminds us in the second chapter of 1st John, "But this life is passing away..."

Indeed, it is. However, to return to my conversation with my friend, I concluded with something like,

"I am all too aware of the brevity of life here on this earth, and I am thankful for every day God grants me. But this ain't all there is."

(and)

"It is awesome to think that a billion years from now, we will just be getting up to eat breakfast in heaven!"

No, my friends, we can't stay here. But oh, how sweet, oh, how amazingly beautiful to realize that we will be given the opportunity to live out an eternity with our friends and relatives, and with the One who loved us and gave Himself for us!

by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment