Thursday, December 16, 2021

WHEN AN ANIMAL LOSES A FRIEND

 

                                                                            QUEENIE

Pt. 1

Our little Queenie, a beautiful white and auburn Shih Tzu, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in February.

They say that “dogs don’t live as long as human beings since dogs don’t need as long to learn to be perfect.” Well, I don’t know about that. Queenie, I regret to say, was far from perfect, especially over the last couple of years of her 16-18 year life span.

You see, Queenie never was house broken, and she, ultimately, developed Canine Dementia, and the symptoms of this malady became increasingly difficult to contend with. She would be next to me on the sofa, and I would be stroking her back, and my wife would walk past. This was apparently Queenie’s cue. She began growling and barking and generally playing the part of a banshee. At other times, she would seek the solace of the corner of the living room or dining room. She would literally bury her snout against the wall. At other times, she would walk into our dark hallway bathroom, push the door shut, and almost immediately begin scratching the same door in a futile attempt to escape her captivity.

But I loved her

The foregoing and additional symptoms Queenie displayed on a consistent basis were “the elephant in the living room” and simply could not be ignored. I knew I would have to be proactive about providing her, as well as my wife and I, some relief.

Speaking of relief, a raccoon hunter and his son grabbed their shotguns one morning, let their bloodhounds out of the kennel, and set out across the woods behind their house. Suddenly, they saw a raccoon scurry across the trail, and begin climbing a nearby tree. Both hunters raised their weapons, but the furry creature continued to elude them.

Finally, the older man decided to do something he’d only done a couple of times in the past. Strapping the shotgun over his shoulder, he began climbing the tree. And now, he managed to get within a few feet of the raccoon, and raised his 12 gauge.

Suddenly, the little beast sprang on the old boy’s back, and began clawing him, and cutting through his shirt and flesh “something fierce.” And as the fearless hunter attempted to remove the creature from his back, choking and boxing the ferocious creature, the man was increasingly the worse for wear. Thus, he did the first and only thing which he could think of at the time.

He screamed for all he was worth.

“Son, shoot up here in the tree.”

Jacob could hardly believe his father would say such a thing.

“Dad, I can’t do that! I’m bound to hit you with buckshot.”

Now, his father screamed again.

“Jacob, I said shoot up here in this tree! One of us needs some relief!”

Pt. 2

That’s very much how I felt, as our precious Queenie continued to drift deeper into the darkness of dementia.

Of course, I reached a point where that ‘elephant’ could no longer be ignored. It fell to me, as it has fallen to multiplied thousands of others, to help my precious pooch cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Queenie and Toby, a black and white Papillon, both lived, at one time or the other, with my wife and me, and with our daughter, Kristy. (Both dogs were both living in our house when… well, you know).

And while I can’t speak for the time when Queenie and Toby were living elsewhere, they seemed very aloof, and for all appearances tended to ignore each other in my home; except “when the mood” struck the latter of the two. But unless Queenie was “in heat,” a condition she experienced intermittently throughout her entire life, she had little or no desire for that kind of male companionship. Of course, given the dynamics we observed, we surmised the two little fifteen pound critters mostly tolerated one another’s presence in our home.

However, as I have previously inferred, the day arrived when I “had to do the deed.” I have written about that day in the past, but suffice it to say that before I followed through with the unacceptable and unendurable, I loaded Queenie up in the car and took her for a ride. And as we rode down the highways and byways surrounding our house, I whispered words to her such as, “Queenie, you were the best!” (and) “We will see you again in heaven” (and) “Tell Princess and Buddy and Bobby and Lucy ‘hello’ for me when you get there.”

Pt. 3

I can tell you. The Rainbow Bridge experience wasn’t a good one, and it wasn’t just because I was in the process of investing that precious pooch in the care of our merciful Creator. I won’t repeat what I have already written in the past, but it is enough to say that while Queenie was “crossing over,” the vet made some unnecessary remarks about state requirements for the disposal of her body. It was tacky to intrude on her homegoing with that kind of malarkey, when he could have given me this information after the deed was done.

But be that as it may, after Queenie was quite obviously safe in the arms of Jesus, I picked her up, and set her in a nice hat box which I’d previously decided to use as her final resting place. After I laid her on her favorite blanket, and put a meal doggie bone, a rubber ball and a rose in the box with her, I replaced the cover, we paid the bill, and drove home.

Having arrived home, it occurred to me. In spite of his seeming aloofness towards Queenie, I thought Toby should be given the opportunity to see her one last time. As a result, when I walked in the front door, I set the hat box on the living room floor, took the lid off, and allowed the little fella to peak into the box. Even now, he seemed disconnected emotionally towards her. Perhaps he assumed she was only sleeping.

Now, I replaced the cover, walked down a fern covered pathway which led to what I refer to as my Pet Cemetery, and set the makeshift cardboard casket in the bottom of a pre-dug hole. Now, I refilled her grave with sand, told Queenie I loved her, and retraced my steps to my back door. Since then, I ordered flat slate memorial stones which were adorned with the photos of my dearly departed pooches, and laid them on their respective gravesites.

Pt. 4

Over the following two weeks after Queenie crossed the Rainbow Bridge, Toby’s demeanor changed completely. I have never seen such sadness in the eyes of one of God’s creatures, and his ravenous desire for food decreased badly. He realized his companion had “left the building” and wasn’t coming back.

I have heard of a dog literally starving himself to death after his human master went on to his reward. It once happened in my own extended family. And who will ever forget Greyfriar’s Bobby, a little Scottish Terrier, which laid on his master’s gravesite for fourteen years, prior to his own demise.

However, in this case I witnessed an animal mourning an animal. And while Toby and Queenie seemed to tolerate one another’s existence in my home, and generally seemed to ignore each other, it quickly became apparent that the former loved the latter as much as I ever did. I will never forget the sadness in his eyes, as if he had lost his best friend; (and I suppose he had).

In retrospect, I am glad I allowed Toby to see Queenie as she lay in her little cardboard casket. As I reflect on it now, I think it gave my little pooch an opportunity to make some sense out of her ongoing absence in our home.

I’m convinced Toby will remember Queenie until he walks across the same bridge she walked across that day. Sometimes I think I see a lingering sadness in his eyes, as if he wishes she might find some way to return.

It is apparent they were better friends than I imagined. And while I would love to be able to help him understand her absence, somehow I think he has come to terms with it, and that he understands better than I ever imagined that he could.

                                                              Toby


by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment