Monday, December 20, 2021

A SIGNATURE SPACE

I have struggled with various dental issues during the course of my 72 years on earth, as the majority of people have. However, in spite of cavities, misaligned teeth, and gum issues, I still have 31 of my original 32 teeth.

Speaking of misaligned teeth, one of those familiar little porcelains on the lower left side of my jaw is crooked, so much so that it leans against my tongue, and unless one looks closely it appears I am missing a tooth there.

When I was at my dentist office recently, Dr. Wheeler told me something which she had never mentioned to me before.

“Dr. McDonald, when I think about you, I think about your ‘signature space.’ I would know it anywhere.”

“Well,” I thought, “I had no idea my crooked tooth, and the space which was created by the pressure of the two adjoining teeth made any impression on my dentist whatsoever.”

My Signature Space

I thought about that characterization a great deal over the next few hours. A curious combination of words for what I thought of as a pretty mundane misalignment of my teeth.

Pt. 2

As I continued to think about Dr. Wheeler’s statement, it occurred to me that my so-called “signature space” (or at least the phraseology) characterizes the second most important calling any believer can fulfill.

It almost goes without saying that our best and highest calling is our relationship with and love for God. However, our second most important calling is our relationship with our fellow man. And this is where our so-called signature space become relevant.

I am convinced that God has such a signature space for each and every believer. I believe He has called each and every one of us to a specific role, or series of roles throughout our lifetime on this planet.

Let’s looks at a few scriptures which express my theory well.

“The Lord will accomplish that which concerns me.” Psalm 138:8

“He which has begun a good work in you will also perform it until the day of the Lord.” (Phil. 1:6)

“But it is the Lord’s plan both to will and act in you according to His purpose.” (Phil. 2:13)

“Faithful is He who has called you and He will also do it.” (1st Thess. 5:24)

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord beseech you that you walk worthy of the vocation to which you are called.” (Eph. 5:1)

We are all called to a place and a space, a time and a location, as unique as our signature, in which we can impact those whom God sets in our pathway.

A Signature Space

by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment