Tuesday, December 14, 2021

PTSD - Approaches & Interventions

As a counselor, I don't consider myself an expert on the topic of PTSD, although I have done a considerable amount of counseling related to trauma involving childhood sexual abuse which obviously has components of PTSD. 

 

It is important to note that memories and emotions are 'Triggered' by sights, smells and sounds which remind one of hurtful experiences from the past;which tend to keep people "stuck" in the past.

 

There is a 'brand' of counseling referred to as "Exposure Therapy" which includes the individual talking about these experiences, and more than once, so that the person gets familiar with their past circumstances, and begins to realize that these things can no longer exercise power over them. Exposure Therapy may also include revisiting the actual places where the child or adult was exposed to emotional, physical or sexual harm.

 

Journaling is another approach to overcoming trauma. The individual would keep a written journal of their hurtful memories, and circumstances when they begin to re-experience thoughts and emotions related to the past. I personally think this approach should be time-limited, and should be permanently discontinued at some point. However, it can be helpful during a structured counseling process.

 

Beyond counseling, there is a technique which I refer to as "Changing the Channel" which means the person immediately gets busy with another activity when they begin to think of hurtful memories which cause them to be anxious; for instance, reading, or jogging or listening to soothing music.

 

I once made a statement that "Mindsets are Everything." Proverbs 16:3 reads, "Commit your works unto the Lord and your thoughts will be established." Another similar verse in the New Testament reads, "Take off the old man (old mindset). Put on the new man (new mindset)." (Ephesians 4:22,24) Finally, in 1st Peter 1:17 we read, "We serve a God who judges men according to their actions." The implication in all these verses is that if we are to overcome the things which keep us stuck, it will require us to take purposeful, positive actions in spite of the thoughts and emotions which intrude on our lives. I will attach a homework assignment related to "Rewriting Faulty Mindsets," a technique I created, though I'm sure other counselors use similar approaches. Our rewritten mindsets would include the actions we take, and the words we speak.

 

I have often encouraged my clients to renounce the impact of people, places and things from the past which negatively impact them.


I refer to this as "Renouncement." As a 'for instance,' I have a couple of 9x great Uncles who you can read about if you do an internet search on Joseph and Jarvis Ring and the Salem Witch Trials. They gave false testimony about a woman named Susannah Martin, and as a result she was put to death. Well, I don't want their influence to impact me so I have verbally renounced their impact on my life. This same technique applies to those things in our lives which have caused us to experience hurtful memories and emotions. 

 

I often use Ceremony in my counseling process. I have encouraged my clients to write down various people and experiences which linger in their memories and cause them ongoing pain. When they have done this, I ask them to fold the page, put it in a matchbox, write "no fishing" on the box, and bury it.

 

We must begin “leaving the past behind and turning to all that God has prepared for us.” (Philippians 3:13). It is far too easy to (figuratively) dress ourselves, and others in the tattered clothing of the past. We should remind ourselves, “That was then, and this is now.” While there aren’t any time machines, we are prone to spend our time reflecting on the past. As a result, we remain stuck. I refer to this sad state of affairs as a State of Stuckness.

 

In terms of the offender(s), there are three possible responses, all of which are optional depending on the individual and “what works” for them.

 

Some people choose to Confront the individual who wronged them. Of course, if one chooses to do so, he or she should do so in a safe, neutral environment. Obviously, the offender may not agree to meet with the person whom they offended, or they may deny they did anything to harm the offended party.

 

Forgiveness is always in order; either in the other party’s presence, or in the privacy of one’s own home. I have often encouraged my clients to speak the words out loud in my office or at home. “I forgive you, (insert name).” Forgiveness is as much for the offended person as it is for the offender. I have often told my clients that “Forgiveness begins with words” (and) “You don’t have to ‘feel like it’ to speak the words” (and) “It may be necessary to listen to yourself say the words many times before the feelings catch up” (and) “Forgiveness is a process that may take a great deal of time.”

 

Of course, forgiveness does not necessarily mean Reconciliation. Forgiveness and Reconciliation are two very different things. One can forgive without reconciling. Obviously, when the offender is a family member, Alienation is not always possible.

 

There are any number of other approaches which might be helpful to someone who is experiencing PTSD, and what works for one person may not be helpful for another. Obviously, if an approach is not helpful, but actually reinforces someone's memories and emotions, it should be discontinued.

by William McDonald, PhD

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment