Monday, December 7, 2020

ENGRAVING IT IN STONE

 As I write this particular musing, I am currently counseling and mentoring former women inmates in a local residential ministry. (And as I write these words, it occurs to me that one of my great great great grandchildren may, at this moment, be reading this long after I have gone on to my reward).

Be that as it may, today I was counseling a former inmate named, “Anita.” And since we were discussing the temptations to which many young people succumb, not the least of which are drugs, alcohol and dysfunctional relationships, I decided to share a few what I consider to be crucial concepts with her.

My premier suggestion is:

We must be able to say, “I will NEVER (fill in the blank).

Oh, I have heard some people nay say this recommendation, and insist that, “You must never say, ‘never’ since as human beings we are fickle creatures, and we will all, at one time or another, yield to temptation.” (and) “People who get too complacent and take temptations for granted by claiming they will never yield are the most likely to fall on their faces.”

Well, as I have already inferred, I can’t buy into that philosophy. I believe it is possible, and not only possible, but that we simply MUST premeditate our “Never’s.”

I mean, I am nobody’s special anything, but allow me to use myself as an example.

Almost thirty years ago, as I entered the counseling career field, I made a promise to myself that I would NEVER become emotionally or physically involved with an opposite gender client. Well, guess what? As I enter my early 70’s, and I begin what will probably be the final decade of ministry on earth, I have NEVER been emotionally or physically involved with one of my opposite gender clients, (which, I believe, puts to rest the theory that in regard to the existence of temptations that people should never say, “never”).

I believe our “never’s” must be figuratively engraved in stone; much like the Ten Commandments which Moses received on the  mountain.

Pt. 2

You may say, “All that is very well and good, but just because you say, ‘never’ doesn’t make it so, nor gets it done.” (and) “How do you plan to enforce your ‘never?’”

Let’s assume that you or I are in the process of being actively tempted to (fill in the blank). What are we to do to overcome such temptations?

Well, I’m glad you asked.

There is a simple, but amazing scripture verse which lays it out in black and white.

“Commit your works unto the Lord, and your thoughts will be established.”

(or expressed in modern English)

Do the right thing until you feel like doing the right thing.”

I believe we must commit to this mindset, if we expect to stand against our natural enemy, and actively combat the temptations which are most prominent in our individual lives.

Another concept which is part and parcel of the last is,

“Taking the first avenue of escape.”

That is, it is crucial that as soon as we realize the temptation has begun to overwhelm us, it is imperative that we “act upon” it as forcibly as it has been “acting upon” us. However, if we begin to cooperate with the temptation, and begin to take those “incremental actions” which go into fulfilling the temptation, all hope is lost.

As a “for instance,” someone with a history of drug addiction and who has been clean for several years is suddenly tempted to use. Quite obviously, in order to fulfill the temptation, he or she gets dressed, walks out the door, gets in his or her car, drives to the location of the dealer, pulls the required fee from his or her pocket, pays the dealer, gets back in his or her car, drives home, gets out of his or her car, walks in the door, and proceeds to use the drug. Again, “Taking the first avenue of escape” will require you or I to cease and desist as quickly as we realize we are being actively tempted.

And finally, at least for the moment, writing our “never” in stone will require us to practice “substitutionary behavior” (or doing this instead of that). And depending on the temptation, substitutionary behavior may look like getting busy, exercising, reading a book, reading the scripture, contacting a friend or counselor, etc. etc.

 

Yes, my friend, I am convinced that, as believers, and with the assistance of the Holy Spirit, we have been given the wherewithal to say NEVER to the temptations which threaten to overwhelm us, ruin our characters, and potentially destroy our very lives.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment