Saturday, June 16, 2018

REPUTATON VS. CHARACTER


As a pastoral counselor I do something which most Christian therapists (and licensed clinical counselors) never do.

I teach.

I require both my clients and counseling interns to maintain a notebook, as I give notes during sessions, as well as homework assignments.

One particular concept I teach is that of Reputation vs. Character.

Reputation is that which people surrounding us perceive to be true about us, and could also be referred to as our Public Persona.

Character relates to that which only we, ourselves and God know about us, or might also be characterized as, “Who we are when no one else is looking.”

I go on to say that we may have:

#1. A shining reputation, but a despicable character, #2. A despicable reputation, but a shining character, #3. A shining reputation and a shining character, or #4. A despicable reputation and a despicable character.
While I prefer the third of the four possibilities, the second is much more preferable than the first or fourth. 

(Please share)

No comments:

Post a Comment