Thursday, June 14, 2018

A TAP ON MY SHOULDER


A video came up on my social media page today. It was one of those “one of a kind” substantial kind of segments which has real import.

Some fellow, whom I had never heard or seen before, (we’ll, call him ‘Bill’) was talking about a singular experience; in which he found himself at a restaurant with another man. As they were eating their meal, an elderly woman walked in, and took a seat at a nearby table. A few minutes later, a younger woman, (obviously her daughter) and her children sat down with her.

As he continued with his story, Bill said that as he and his friend were finishing up, and preparing to leave the restaurant, he felt what he described as a “tap on the shoulder.” Although, what he experienced was not a physical touch, it was just as authentic, and he knew that he knew what the Spirit of God wanted him to do.

As the two men rounded the elderly woman’s table, Bill dropped down in a squatting position next to “Doris,” looked her directly in the eyes, and said,

“I don’t know if anyone has told you this lately, but you are such a lovely lady.”

To which the elderly woman replied,

“I know you.”

Surprised, Bill assured her that they had never met.

What Doris said next demolished all his defenses.

“No, I know your spirit. You see, my husband passed away a year ago, and that is exactly what he would have said to me.”

As Bill looked into the camera lens, he returned to his original theme.

“My friends, when God taps us on the shoulder, we need to be sensitive to His touch, and be ready to respond.”

What an amazing tap on the shoulder our narrator experienced that day. Only time and eternity will tell the good he accomplished; if only for one person.

As an empathetic, destiny-driven Christian and pastoral counselor, both personally and professionally, I agree with Bill’s persuasion. However, I have my own terminology for what he described on the video. I call it "Momentary Ministry."

While we may think of such a ‘chance’ meeting as entirely circumstantial, God knew we would confront singular circumstances, and specific people whom He has set in our pathways

... before He made the worlds.
by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 83. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment