Saturday, June 2, 2018

AN ANGELIC VISITATION (a.k.a. My First Angel)



I have previously written about this particular topic, but I think as interesting, poignant and eerie as the subject is, it bears repeating.



Over the past three plus years I have peddled a grand total of 10,300 miles; sometimes peddling 20 miles a day, most often 10. Several months ago I brought my bike to a halt at a stop sign at the end of a two lane street which intersects a four lane highway.



As I applied my handbrakes, and looked to my right, I saw a young man walking down the sidewalk; perhaps 30-40 feet distant. Now that isn’t necessarily a “big deal,” except my handy little timepiece had just chimed 4am, and it is rare that I ever see anyone along my bike route at this time of the night; well, morning. 



I immediately looked to my left for oncoming traffic; as I was preparing to cross the major highway. Then, not two seconds later, I once again looked to my right. 



Only to discover, the young man was



… no longer to be seen.



Now, the mere fact that I could no longer see him might have been rather innocuous, except the young man’s pathway was bordered by a 7-8 foot wall; a structure which separates a gated community from the public at large. I realized that in the course of those brief moments he would not have had time to climb the wall. And the street lights gave ample evidence that neither was he in the process of crossing the highway.


Now, if by chance you suspect I am the sort to see an angel behind every bush, you would be sadly mistaken. For in the 2/3 of a century that I have inhabited planet Earth,



… this was my first.



Of course, I pondered the meaning of this strange and momentary visitation, and I was, and still am convinced that “he” came to me, at least in part, to offer a bit of consolation for a significant loss I recently experienced.



However…



Recently, I was peddling the same stretch of sidewalk upon which I sighted the angelic figure, and as I neared the intersection of the smaller and larger streets, I noticed two small, white crosses planted in the ground next to that familiar stop sign.



In the past few days, someone had



… met their maker here!



Evidently, the result of a vehicular accident.



And it occurred to me that this heavenly visitor, the young “man” with whom I had momentarily crossed paths that night might have possessed motives greater than me, and may have simply been


… making a dry run!



By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 20. Copyright pending



If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment