Friday, May 25, 2018

TAKING YA FOR A RIDE a.k.a. Please Allow Me to Scam Ya


As I checked my Facebook page today, I noticed I had a message from one of my social media fans, I mean friends, in Alabama.

“Did you see the good news?”

To which I responded,

“Well, I’m not sure what ‘good news’ you are referring to, but my wife and I visited Ireland and Scotland for two weeks this month, and I think that’s pretty good news.”

To which Byron S. responded,

“Yes, that is wonderful news, but actually I’m referring to the ‘Global Grant.’ I was awarded $400,000 cash recently, and I can tell you, I’m enjoying it.”

(and)

“Has Global Grant contacted you?”

To which I replied,

“Well, not that I’m aware of.”

My social media friend continued.

“Hmmm, I’m confused ‘cause I saw your name on the list of winners.”

Well, I can tell you this guy doesn’t know me from Adam’s uncle; and Adam didn’t have an uncle. (I don’t even recall how I befriended Byron, or vice versa, but it was ‘getting deep’).

Beyond this, there are plenty of “Bill McDonald’s” in Florida, and more throughout the United States. I wondered how he could be so sure that I was the Bill McDonald who was being awarded the hypothetical money.

Dear readers, I can tell you that I am more sensitive, than most, about scams. I can smell them a mile away. There are generally one of two things which someone like Byron is ‘up to.’ He or she is all about gaining privileged information from the hapless victim, or ‘soaking’ them for money. When it’s “all said and done,” it’s all about money.

As a result of my suspicion, I brought up the ‘Settings’ feature of my Facebook page, then ‘Security’ and subsequently ‘Block.’ My ‘friend’ would no longer be able to see my social media page, nor send me a message.

I think I will never understand how our fellow human beings can take advantage of, deceive, and generally ‘who-doo’ one another. Countless folks have fallen victim to a myriad of ploys and scams; anything from shop-lifting, to package theft, to unlicensed contractors, to email, phone and social media fraud.

As scripture says,

“These things ought not to be.”

…Hmmm, what if I was that Bill McDonald who won all that money?

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 82. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment