Tuesday, May 22, 2018

JUST WALK UP BEHIND ME. Pts. 1-3



My wife and I just completed the most wonderful vacation of our (not so) young lives.

We spent two experience-packed, location-visited, scenery-blessed weeks in the most idyllic countries on the planet. Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. And what made it all the more memorable is the fact that we can each pinpoint specific sites where specific ancestors were born, and from whence they immigrated to the United States. Not only were we operating off this knowledge, but we visited several of these locations; including such wonderful places as the Isle of Skye, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.

When our tour bus passed through what is referred to as The Giant’s Causeway, we de-boarded for a couple of hours, and walked about a mile, along the foaming North Ireland surf, to one of the strangest geological formations on this planet.

Thousands of interlocking columns of basalt with five and six-sided flat surfaces make up two stony hills, and border the foaming Atlantic surf. Next to the hills is another naturally-occurring geological formation constructed of the same basalt blocks of stone, but stacked one upon another to make up a virtual wall approximately seventy feet in height. Legend has it that two giants fought on this site, and that one of the giants created the causeway as a sort of boxing ring. Well, as Forrest Gump was prone to say, “I don’t know about that,” but it is a magical location.

Anyone who knows me well knows that, in spite of my age, I would not be denied. Not only did my wife and I have our photo taken in front of that strange wall, but I was determined to climb both of these hills.

Pt. 2

And climb them I proceeded to do.

Having gingerly stepped from the top of one interlocking column to another, and as I was about halfway up one of these rocky outcrops, I asked one of two or three yellow-vested employees in the area,

“Do some of your visitors break their ankles on these rocks?”

To which the young lady responded,

“Well, yes they do. And sometimes they break more than their ankles.”

At this point any old fool would have thought better about such a foolish mission, as the one I had undertaken. But I guess I’m not just any old fool.

Since the Scottish girl was standing in front of me, I posed a question.

“Is it okay if I climb to the top?”

To which she responded,

“Sure, you can. Just go up straight behind me.”

While she possessed a significant Irish accent, her words were perfectly legible, but the tenor of her words confused me.

“Uh, you mean you are going to lead the way?”

The, (no doubt low paid) employee smiled a half smile, and replied,

“No, I mean just walk straight up the hill behind where I’m standing. Don’t take any other path.”

Now, I understood her inference. She wasn’t going up with me, but the pathway had previously been laid out.

I expect I responded with (something like),

“Oh, now I get it. Thanks.”

Pt. 3

I think the Christian life is a lot like the foregoing illustration, and the two foregoing possibilities.

In the one case, we have been left with the known character, writing and possibly audios/videos of those who have long since gone on to their reward, and who have laid out a proverbial pathway before us.

In my own case, people like the Apostle Paul, and more recently Eric Liddell, Peter Marshall, Jim Elliot and Amy Carmichael. I call them my “dead mentors.” (To be sure the only mentors I have ever had are dead folks).

So much like Hebrews 11:4.

“Though dead, yet they speak.”

In the other case, there are those older, wiser, more seasoned individuals who, when they say, “Just go up straight behind me” mean it literally, and (unlike the young lass at the Giant’s Causeway) make the arduous climb ahead of us, and serve as living role models.

I am privileged to be one of those people of whom I refer. Over the past quarter century, I have had the pleasure of presenting a year long formal mentoring program to several dozen young, and not so young people preparing for ministry.

One of my interns once presented me with a gift. Oh, it wasn’t a tangible one, but it was the best gift I’ve ever been given.

Rita said,

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you can’t go. I’ll speak for you when you can’t speak. I’ll reach, teach and keep people in your name; long after you have gone on to your reward.”

I mean, how great is that?

I love a quotation I once saw at a high school graduation ceremony.

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

Whether as devout, committed Christian role models we manage to lay out a pathway for them who will follow us from a distance, (as in the case of my dead mentors), or whether they find themselves “hot on our trail,” it is very much the same.

I think it behooves us to blaze a trail before those men, women, boys and girls who will follow after us; to leave behind a pathway whereby those who follow can better navigate the steps, and avoid the obstacles.

I know I intend to.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 82. Copyright pending


If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment