Tuesday, August 15, 2017

BEFORE BEYOND THE SUNSET


This past Sunday my pastor asked me to sing a hymn I had never done as a solo number. “Beyond the Sunset.” And is my habit I preceded my song with a few relevant comments.

“Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my immortal destiny. But not a day goes by that I don’t think about my mortal destiny. And while I look forward to meeting our Lord in heaven one day, I admit I am more taken up with fulfilling whatever God has for me to do in this life.

And not a day goes by that I don’t pray,

‘Dear Lord, please don’t allow me to miss out on whatever remains of your plans for me in my waning years on this planet.’”

(and)

“While I am looking forward to my personal “Beyond the Sunset,” I am currently living out my own personal “Before Beyond the Sunset” and it is with this notion that I fill up my time.”

There are believers among us who are, as the phrase goes, “So heavenly minded they are no earthly good.”

That is, among the body of Christ there are those who only think and talk about “going home,” and who, in the meanwhile, sit on their proverbial laurels, and ignore the plans the Almighty dreamed for them …before He made the worlds.

And there are those among the people of faith who are “So earthly minded they are no heavenly good;” those among the people of God who are so busy eating, sleeping, and earning a living that they wouldn’t recognize an opportunity for ministry if it bit them on the rear end.

As I sat in a baccalaureate exercise several years ago a poignant adage was flashed on the overhead screen.

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

Since that time, I came across a similar phrase.

“I am planting seedlings under whose shade I may never sit.”

I am a man of influence and I am determined to impact the dear men and women, boys and girls whom God has set in my pathway; for as long as I live and breathe and move on this earth. And while I am looking forward to Beyond the Sunset, I am more concerned with fulfilling my own Before Beyond the Sunset.










No comments:

Post a Comment