Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Trading in Names


True confessions. My wife and I watch too much television.

And in the midst of “Dr. Phil” and “America’s Ninja Warrior” and “ WWII in Color,” we have been exposed to one too many commercials.

It seems a significant percentage of tv ads involve medications of one sort or another. Oddly enough, the majority of medicines seem to have some pretty messed up names; names such as

Incivek, Adcetris, Yervoy, Viibryd, Zytiga, Xgeva and Harvoni

And as I roll my chair 18” from the computer screen, and examine the foregoing list, I find myself laughing aloud! I have mused that only a committee of total imbeciles could have possibly developed such a ludicrous list of medicinal titles.

From my perspective these drug companies would do well to make the same choice my own nephew once made when he decided to change his surname. Not having grown up with his natural father, and only knowing him from a distance, and having been raised by his good mother, (and my sister) and cherished by his grandparents, (my parents) he legally relinquished his former name for the same surname which I proudly bear.

Speaking of ill-advised terms for medications, as well as my dear nephew’s decision to change his name, in my time I’ve heard some pretty bizarre appellations hung on people; names such as,

,,,Percival and Stanley and Hortense and Civility

And lest I weary you with my oft-repeated allusion to Tony’s decision (for my nephew’s name is Tony) to embrace a new surname, give me the latitude to do so one more time; (for I wish to make a point).

As a Christian I’m convinced that that which we call “real” now is passing away, and that which we have never yet seen will eventually be the only “real” we ever care to know or enjoy.

And scripture seems to promise the redeemed of the Lord will surrender their familiar name, by which they have always been called, in favor of a better one.

“The one who is victorious…I will write on him a new name.” (Rev. 3:12)

I tend to think Percival and Stanley and Hortense and Civility will be quite pleased.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment