Thursday, July 23, 2015

Listen in Decibels. Speak in Whispers


I have previously written a couple of “Dear Diary” entries which were more specific, in terms of the scenario which I am about to once again embark, at least in terms of the causation of my singular experience; thus I will avoid that specificity this time around. It is enough that I generalize reasons, and, for the sake of my reader’s potential quandaries, (and not my own) focus on a different aspect of the mix.

At any rate, in the past year I experienced something which left me absolutely horrified, mystified, and which has never yet been clarified. (You didn’t know there were so many words which ended with that suffix, did you)?

And in relation to the previous scenario, the emotions it instilled in me, and my only partial success in “laying it all down,” it seems good to me to invoke one common factor which, I believe, caused everything to fall into place like the proverbial puzzle.

...People’s opinions,

and their copious, “fall all over themselves” willingness to provide what they construed as guidance.

As a counselor I have seen how vulnerable, impressionable people orient towards others for guidance, and I’m all too aware how some will “doctor shop” until they stumble on an opinion which sounds the most like their own, (or) who will go with the majority opinion, and will “chalk that up” to sound guidance.

But even counselors struggle with the affairs of life, and, like everyone else who lives and breathes and moves, they sometimes find themselves caught up in a web of events and emotions; not of their own making.

There is an old adage which reflects on a bit of sage advice. The implication is that we should listen in decibels, and speak in whispers. (My paraphrase). And even as a counselor, I think that’s good advice.

How then are we to navigate this circuitous situation; for at one time or another we will all encounter relatives, friends and acquaintances who seek out our advice.

My guidance to you, (oops, it seems I’m doing it myself) is to:

1.     As that old adage implies, always be ready with a listening ear. One of the hallmarks of a true friend is a willingness to listen

 

2.     Assume you are only hearing one side of the matter; for in many, and perhaps most cases you can’t begin to understand the other person’s side of the story

 

3.     Because of, (and not in spite of) your biased and edited knowledge, and though you may be “joined at the hip” with that individual to whom you are providing guidance, attempt to assume an unbiased attitude towards the scenario which he or she presents to you

 

4.     Don’t be too quick to respond. Withhold your opinion until you have time to mull it over in your mind, and even, (God forbid) “pray about it.” (Yes, I’m an advocate of prayer). And when possible, attempt to glean more information about the matter which “knocked on your door.”

 

5.     When the lives of people hang in the balance, and you find yourself “sitting in the seat of judgment,” remind yourself of the responsibility which rests on your shoulders. In all likelihood a weighty scenario, and the presence of two or more persons in the mix will contribute to some significant and long lasting results and recurring emotions.

 

6.     Be ready to say, “I honestly don’t know,” (and/or) “Have you enlisted the aid of a wise and trusted counselor, (who has a good track record)?”

Now, in all of this I’m not referring to something so insignificant as what type of wine goes best with lasagna, or whether one should take up hang gliding instead of rock climbing, (granted, both are dangerous sports). But my persuasion is, whether formal or informal counselors, structured or spontaneous, ongoing or momentary, we have an obligation to ourselves, and to those whom we give guidance, to call into account the seriousness of giving guidance to another human being, and take into account the foregoing recommendations.

What we may consider a paltry bit of guidance can bear some pretty consequential fruit, and have a significant impact on the lives, and emotions of those whom we hold dear, and some whom we may never meet.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary," Vol. 4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment