Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Yield Signs in Our Lives


I was listening to “Night Sounds,” a wonderful internet broadcast, this morning. The topic of the program was simply titled,

…“Yield”

One facet of the broadcast was the inference that we ought always be ready to “play second fiddle in the orchestra” of life. So much like Jesus’ admonition that “if you wish to be first, you will become last.”

During the approx. 27 minutes in which I listened to his baritone voice this morning, the late Bill Pearce, the host of the previously referred to program, eloquently spoke of the “yield signs of life.”

One important yield sign in our lives on earth includes our willingness to allow someone else to go first, or have the notoriety. Interestingly enough, Mr. Pearce made the statement,

“Sometimes I wish I hadn’t been chosen for this role. I honestly don’t think I’m qualified to stand on stage, and vocalize the songs of the faith before thousands, nor sit behind this microphone and touch the lives of literally millions. No, sometimes I wish I could just fade into obscurity.” (But I think this good man’s preparation for notoriety was forwarded, and enhanced by his having once known obscurity, and some pretty significant seasons of doubt and despair).

Speaking of fading into obscurity, and yielding to what, sometimes, seems to be the whims of the Savior, I have run up against my share of yield signs in life. And more often than not, they have humbled me to the core.

For I have not always been content to, as Bill Pearce implied, “fade into obscurity.”

Yes, there have been plenty of yield signs along the way:

Those whom I have mentored who have “gone on about their business;” though they promised they’d never forget me.

Those who derived benefit from my ministry, and had the ability to contribute to my work, but who seemingly took advantage of my time and efforts.

Those who have misconstrued my intentions, or spoken badly about my agenda, (causing me to remember the words of the sweet old Gospel song, “When I do the best I can, and my friends misunderstand…”)

Those on the periphery of my efforts who were more than willing to take credit for the fruit of my labors.

Those who possessed the wherewithal to add momentum to my ministry, but who left me by the proverbial wayside.

Those who, time and time again, passed me by; while I waited by the obligatory yield sign.

(and)

Those seasons when trial, turmoil and testing filled up my plate with bitter herbs.

But the longer I live, the better I know, and the surer I become that our Lord never wastes a yield sign, and that He has placed them at all the strategic avenues and boulevards of my life.

For the longer I live, the surer I become that these little seasons of “humbling down” and waiting at yield signs

… have been good for me.

In some inexplicable way, these proverbial yield signs are good for us. For without Preparation, there can be no Mission; since Mission depends on Preparation. And so often the yield signs of life are part and parcel of our preparation for the next step which God has planned for us to take.

Hasn’t He promised that “my times are in His hands.” (Psalms 31:15,) and hasn’t He reminded us that “the Lord will accomplish that which concerns me.” (Psalms 138:8)

No, God never wastes a yield sign. Just as on a literal highway or byway, they have been put there for a reason. And the longer I live, the better I know, and the surer I become that the yield signs of life serve a similar purpose.

Scripture assures us that “I will give you riches in darkness, and treasures in secret places.” (Isaiah 45:3)

In the light of the foregoing passage, I believe the prophet might have advised us to

… “dig an oasis next to your yield sign, and rest awhile.”
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4
 

No comments:

Post a Comment