Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Precious Pooches


I was clearing saplings and brush off my “Back 40” a while ago, and paused by two of my dearly departed pooch’s gravesites to pay my respects. (I still find myself addressing them by name whenever I drop by. Rather like Forrest Gump as he speaks those immortal words,

…“I miss you, Jenny.”)

During the course of my lifetime I have owned four dogs. (Or perhaps they have owned me). A cocker spaniel, a corgi and two shih tzu’s. Princess, Lucy, Buddy and Queenie, respectively.

It is nothing less than amazing the way animals “get under your skin,” and in the space of days become part of your family; (that is, if they have any “couth” whatsoever). We brought a black lab home once, and after it scratched up a couple of our doors, (sadly) we drove it back where it came from.

As I previously implied, I have known the pain associated with losing pets; the two which I interred on my afore-mentioned Back 40, as well as a childhood pooch. One remains, and I have already decided that Queenie will be “the Last of the Mohegan’s.”

I recall a couple of short conversations I once had with Buddy and Lucy. (Well, hardly a conversation, since I never heard either of my pooches respond).

My Buddy was, (as it turned out) nearing the end of her days, when I looked over at her, and asked her a poignant question.

“Hey Buddy, would you like to be a freeze-dried dog?”

(In the past a few folks taxidermied their dogs after their deaths, and set them up on display in “an old familiar place.” Now, freeze drying is the norm).

But I kid you not, after I asked my previous question, my little Buddy looked at me like I had lost my ever loving mind, and subsequently, stuck her nose in the air, and looked the other way!

Very odd, indeed, since her “step-sister,” Lucy, (and I) had a very similar experience.

After Buddy’s death, I waited almost a year to adopt another pup. I just couldn’t bring myself to replace my little canine. However, after I had time to properly grieve, I drove to the SPCA and picked out an older dog; (since she was the only small dog available at the time).

On the way home, I looked over at Lucy, (the name we eventually came up with) and posed a similar question to her.

“Hey (Lucy), you wanna go live with Jesus after you die?”

(I’m not exactly sure what prompted that question).

And again, (I kid you not) Lucy seemed strangely aware of the nature of the question, and she starred at me with those big Corgi eyes for the longest time, as if to say,

“You can count on it!”

If we are to believe scripture, humankind is assured not only of our eventual demise, but of an afterlife. (Hebrews 9:27) And more than a few people through the ages have been convinced that the redeemed of the earth will be given the opportunity to see and enjoy their precious pets again.

After my little Buddy passed away I experienced several circumstances which convinced me of the veracity of this perspective.

One night after I “reported” to my bedroom, and laid down to sleep, I suddenly felt something lay down beside me, and cuddle up against my shoulder. Now mind you, I never saw anything, (at least not this time around) but as I lay there, (previously alone) I sensed the steady respiration of… something.

(I think I know what that “something” was).

There’s a wonderful cartoon which depicts St. Peter standing at the pearly gates, An elderly man stands at the registrant’s desk, having just crossed over, and a little white pooch can be seen running towards him.

The caption?

“So you’re little Bobbie, Rex has been going on about you for the last 50 years!”

Every time I look at this simple cartoon, tears well up in my eyes.

I have no doubt, whatsoever, that I will not only see many of my loved ones and friends on the other side, but I will also be given the inestimable privilege of seeing my precious pooches again.

Heaven would be just a bit lonely without them.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment