Thursday, June 29, 2023

GET IT TOGETHER, DOUG

 4086

I was watching a Tampa Bay Rays game against the Arizona Diamondbacks today. One of the announcers, Doug Waechter, a former Major League Baseball pitcher began to reminisce about being on the mound one day.

"I remember I was having a hard time, and throwing some pretty bad pitches. One batter after another managed to get on base or hit a homerun. I could hear every word of our team's fans in the seats behind the catcher. 

"Suddenly, one little girl, she couldn't have been any older than ten, shouted, 

'Get it together, Doug!!!'

"Well, I just about lost it. I stepped off the mound a moment and collected myself, and then stepped back into the pitcher's circle."

I think we've all "been there." And I think we've all been blessed to have someone encourage or admonish us, not for selfish motives, or in spite, but simply to help us get "back in the swing."

The foregoing story impacted me a great deal. I think I will remember it every time someone encourages or admonishes me, or I take the opportunity to encourage or admonish someone whom God sets in my pathway.

"But day by day and as long as today shall last continue to encourage one another." (Hebrews 3:13)

by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment