Friday, June 23, 2023

THE HEART OF FRANK SINATRA

    

    4079

While I can't speak for every aspect, activity and action of Frank Sinatra, he apparently exhibited the kind of empathy at times for which Elvis was also known.
Sinatra had just walked out of a Las Vegas venue where he had appeared, and his lead act had preceded him to the same limo. After they had gotten into the limo, "Jerry" noticed someone outside who seemed to be signaling the famous crooner.
"Frank, I think that woman wants to talk to you."
Sinatra peered through the back window and responded,
"Well, I'll just have to see what she wants."
Now, the well known singer stepped out, looked down at the non-descript lady, and said,
"What can I do for you, ma'am?"
The middle-aged woman looked a little sheepish, and replied,
"My husband is very sick, and I think if you'd sign an autograph for him, it would cheer him up."
Sinatra seemed to tear up slightly, and he pulled out a pen from his coat pocket, and signed a piece of paper the lady passed to him. Smiling, she thanked him, and turned to leave.
However, Frank was not done.
"Uhmmm, wait a minute, Miss."
And with that, he undid each of his cufflinks, and pressed them into her hands.
"Take these to your husband. Give him my best. I hope he feels better soon."
Getting back into the vehicle, Frank Sinatra leaned back into the seat and gave some instructions to the driver.
Now, Jerry spoke again.
"Frank, what in the world were you thinking? Those were your favorite cufflinks. You paid $5,000 for them!"
Sinatra's response was unexpected.
"Jerry, we're just renting."
The young man seemed confused.
"I don't understand, Frank."
"We're just renting a space here. When I leave outta here, someone else will live in my house. Someone else will swim in my pool. Someone else will inherit all of my money."
(and)
"If I can't give away a few things, the many things God has blessed me with are totally worthless."

****************
Recently, I also heard another story which involved Frank Sinatra. It was the mid-50's and while black entertainers appeared in white establishments. including hotel venues, they were required to stay in other facilities and eat elsewhere. Nat King Cole had just finished singing at a well-known Vegas location, and was preparing to depart the premises. However, Frank Sinatra intervened and invited Cole to have dinner with him. Of course, the hotel manager immediately nay-sayed the idea. Not taking "no" for an answer, Sinatra threatened to cancel his own ongoing act there, unless the talented black vocalist was allowed to dine with him. Guess who won? (You're right). The two men enjoyed an enjoyable dinner together that evening.
by Bill McDonald, PhD
All reactions:
Jaclyn Travis Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment