Tuesday, January 5, 2021

WHEN PEOPLE STEP AWAY

I suppose I have written more blogs on this topic than perhaps any other. They say what one talks and writes about most is probably the thing which is most prominent, present or troublesome in one’s life. No doubt, the same can be said for me.

There was a time in Jesus’ life when some members of His outer circle deserted Him. And I think that experience was the most heart-rending of any experience in His life, except that of the events of His final week on earth.

And I believe it was during this situation that He appeared most vulnerable and most human. For after these disciples, apparently members of the 70, stepped away, He looked into the eyes of the Twelve, and poignantly asked, “Will you also go away?”

Thankfully, Simon Peter encouraged the Savior, and responded with, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the Words of everlasting life!”

Recently, I made a remark to another minister. “You know, I think those who live by the Gospel and work in fulltime Gospel ministry experience greater hurt and greater disillusionment with people than virtually anyone else.”

I know I have had my on personal experiences with people stepping away, and doing so without so much as a “See ya later.” And I think when people leave in a moment, and without an explanation, well, it’s nothing less than heart-rending.

Once again, I am experiencing a moment like that, and I honestly can’t account for it. I’m glad that our Lord inspired the writer of the Book of Hebrews to include two verses in particular; my favorite verses in the entire Bible.

“We have not a High Priest who cannot be touched by the feelings of our infirmities, but was in all ways tempted like we are, yet without sin.

Let us come boldly to the throne of grace that we may receive mercy for our failures, and grace to help in the time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16)

And while I can’t account for people stepping away from my life, it is helpful to understand that Jesus encountered this experience before I ever did, and I must content myself in His admonition that the servant is not better than his Master, and we are very likely to endure very similar things which He knew and endured.

God bless, help and encourage everyone who is dealing with this kind of hurt and disillusionment today.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

 

No comments:

Post a Comment