Saturday, January 2, 2021

GOOD LUCK

Good Luck!

How many times have you said it? How many people have said it to you?

We have a tradition in the South in which we eat black eyed peas and collard greens on the first day of the year. It has been said that the collard greens are symbolic of paper money, and the black eyed peas are representative of good luck.

My wife never fails to cook black eyed peas and collard greens on January 1st, and having done so, she always encourages me to eat a “helping” of each. And, as usual, she did so today. Well, it may help you to understand that I don’t especially like black eyed peas or collard greens. I mean, I can take them or leave them. However, to humor Jean, I allowed her to make me a plate of the afore mentioned food products, and dipping my teaspoon into each, I took a bite of one, and the other, in succession, and laid the utensil down.

And then, there is another tradition in this part of the world which is designed to avoid bad luck, and which also relates to the first day of the year. My mother in law swore by it. And while the foregoing example involves an action, the tradition Ruby practiced was all about the lack thereof.

For you see, she would not wash clothes on New Year’s Day. Washing on January 1st is considered bad luck, and means you will be washing clothes for the dead before the year is out.

(Of course, it goes without saying, washing or not washing on the first day of the year will not, cannot override the promise of Hebrews 9:27 which guarantees that every man, woman and child on earth will get their turn).

Pt. 2

Good Luck?

Why, when my wife asked me to eat some black eyed peas and collard greens today I said,

“There is no luck, neither good or bad. Luck simply doesn’t exist.”

I think the best example of our culture’s dependence on so-called luck has to be horoscopes; the notion that the 12 signs of the Zodiac, and specifically the sign under which we are born, has everything to do with the outcome of our lives. Of course, we are led to believe that the various formations of stars, one for each month of the year, by name and according to our particular birth month will assure the projected course of our lives. And for those of us who care to invest their faith in said horoscopes, there is an implication that the readers thereof will assuredly fare better than those who pass it off as superstition.

Well, my friends, I simply cannot “buy into” the notion that (in my case) Taurus, and the stars in the sky have anything to do with my future, especially since someone, somewhere, perhaps your 400 pound reclusive neighbor, sits down at his dining room table each week, conjures up “a load of malarkey, and submits it to the local newspaper.

No, my friend, I am convinced there simply isn’t any such thing as luck. And because I believe that luck doesn’t exist, I will most gladly walk under a ladder, step into the pathway of a black cat, or purposely break a mirror; (though I would prefer not spending my money on a replacement).

For you see, good luck or bad luck has no place in the life of a believer. It bears repeating. There simply isn’t any such thing as luck.

Pt. 3

Speaking of the Zodiac and horoscopes and the supposed influence of the stars on our lives, well, I choose to invest my faith in the Creator of the stars, rather than in the lifeless, inanimate suns and worlds which He spoke into existence.

For you see, rather than black eyed peas, and collard greens and washing machines and horoscopes, I choose to invest my faith in the Word of a loving, caring personal God who assured me that,

“Your times are in my hands.” (Psalm 31:15)

(and)

“I will accomplish that which concerns you.” (Psalm 138:8)

(and)

“Faithful am I who have called you, and I will also bring it to pass.” (1st Thess. 5:24)

No, my friend, there is simply no such thing as good luck or bad luck. There is only the providential wisdom, trustworthy oversight, and loving care of the God who has made us, and who has assured us that,

“We do not have a High Priest who is unable to empathize with your weaknesses, but He was tempted in every way that you are, yet He did not sin.”

And this wonderful Creator whom we serve has also encouraged us to,

“Approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that you may receive mercy and find grace to help when you most need it.” (Hebrews 4:15-16)

 

Luck? Don’t you believe it.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment