Friday, July 20, 2018

TONY'S HEAVENLY MOTORCYCLE



A notable poet once wrote, (paraphrased)

“There are stranger things in heaven and earth, than fill up our dreams.”

I believe it

I, myself, have been exposed to more of those ‘stranger things’ than anyone has any right to experience here. But it is not my purpose here to pursue any of those ‘things,’

…except for one

I have previously written about the passing of my young nephew Tony, and an unusual scenario in which I was involved, and which transpired after he left us.

Following is another story with direct implications to Tony, and which occurred in the past few days.

It may be helpful, (though decidedly peripheral) to understand that my sleep schedule is “all over the charts.” I mean, there are nights when I simply don’t sleep, except perhaps an hour or two, and then lie down after the sunrise, and “pick up a few zzzz’s.” Only to resort to my horizontal comfort again in the afternoon.

Having told you more about my sleeping habits than which you inquired, or ever wanted to know, a couple of days ago I laid down for an afternoon nap. It was during that momentary season of my life that I dreamed a dream.

Pt. 2

In my dream, I found myself in a home very similar to one I often pass by in a nearby city. For there is a rather peculiar home there.

In terms of its size, it is neither large nor small. In regard to its appearance, it is gray in color, and rather non-descript. What sets it apart, however, is a wall which surrounds the structure, and several black, steel gates through which the occupants come and go; and which are capable of being swung shut, and locked at night.

In my dream, I found myself doing that exact thing.

Opening my front door, I reached out to pull a couple of huge symmetrical gates to my left and right together; my terminal intention of snapping shut a large padlock between them.

As I was about halfway through my task, my dearly departed nephew suddenly drove up on a large, black vintage motorcycle. Of course, I was surprised to see him. However, there was nothing at all surprising about the smile which graced his countenance, and which was “as big as all outdoors.” His family and friends were all too familiar with that famous smile. (And from my way of thinking, more like an impish grin).

As the dream fell together, my nephew never spoke a word, but turning off the chopper’s engine, (and though still seated) he began to assist me in my intention to pull the security gates together.

It is important to deviate from my story here to tell you that, in the past few years, both my parents have gone on to their reward. Tony was more like a son to them than a grandson. As a matter of fact, their relationship was so valued, so strong and so loving that, a few years before he left us, Tony actually changed his last name to ‘McDonald.’

And it is, I think, plenty and enough to say that Tony would have literally given you the shirt off his back. He loved his family and friends dearly, and that love was reciprocated back to him.

Pt. 3

The foregoing characterization of my dream is its entire sum and total. There is little else to add to it, except perhaps its meaning.

And speaking of dreams, I have an avid interest in the topic. And, it might be said, I fancy myself somewhat of an amateur interpreter of dreams.

And while, in regard to the subject matter of my recent dream, I admit to having a more than passing bias, I deliberated all of thirty-three seconds prior to reaching a conclusion about its meaning.

I think Tony’s smile has everything to do with his contentment with his current status. I have no question but that he is with his grandparents now, and that he is healthy and happy and could never wish to come back.

I think the closing of the gates may have a three-fold interpretation.

It may be possible that our dearly departed relatives and friends, (and very much like the angels) have something to do with our protection; as we live and breathe and move in this mortal sphere.

Having been a counselor for a quarter of a century, I am convinced that those who have gone on before us are concerned that those whom they have left behind gain some semblance of closure; in relation to our memories and our grief.

Tony’s mother, (and my sister) Linda offered a third potential interpretation of the closing of the gates.

She said,

“It's possible that Tony wants us to know that he's let go the things of this world or ‘locked them away,’ and he's moved on, and is happy, and doing exactly what he wants to be doing.”


Afterward

And the motorcycle?

Linda shared something with me which struck me to the core.

Having posted a photo of a large, vintage motorcycle on my social media page, she included a poignant note.

“Brother, is this the motorcycle Tony rode up on in your dream? I just happened to think about this. He had to take a picture of this motorcycle the last time we went to Cracker Barrel for lunch. He just thought it was so beautiful.

It was two days before Tony passed away, and our last day together. Kind of ironic l think; especially since he wasn't a motorcycle rider.

I admitted that the photo looked exactly like that two-wheeled vehicle in my dreams.



I believe Tony is with his beloved grandparents now, that his days are filled with joy, and that he is enjoying his heavenly motorcycle immensely.

Yes, dear readers, there are stranger things in heaven and earth than fill up our dreams.
by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 85. Copyright pending
If you wish to save, share or copy, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment