Saturday, August 20, 2016

A Stone in the River



Thus the sons of Israel did as Joshua commanded, and took up twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan, just as the LORD spoke to Joshua, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Israel; and they carried them over with them to the lodging place and put them down there. Then Joshua set up twelve stones in the middle of the Jordan at the place where the feet of the priests who carried the ark of the covenant were standing, and they are there to this day. (Joshua 4:8-9)


Before the sun rises this morning I will have finished biking a grand total of 11,500 miles; over the course of just under 4 years. Normally I peddle 10 miles a day, but since the previously-mentioned grand total will require a final 20, tonight I have decided to pursue an alternate route. And perhaps even more impressive, (if I do say so myself) is the fact that less than 100 days from now I will have accumulated enough mileage to have peddled …half the circumference of the earth. 


I’ve definitely had some unique experiences in the wee hours of the morning, as I peddled down that unforgiving sidewalk. (Unforgiving in terms of a couple ‘Peter Pans’ I sustained, my short flights over the handlebars, and those concrete ‘spread eagles’). 


An emaciated Doberman tied to a light post. A pit bull nipping at my heels. Another of those unforgiving spread eagles and a broken arm; (the result, I might say, of my having purposely slammed my front wheel into his unfortunate mid-section).


A demented young woman standing in a flowerbed singing some ethereal tune. A newly released ‘jail bird.’  Tired, thirsty and using a cane. My offer to drive him home; subsequent to having retrieved my automobile. An apparent kidnapping; during which time I attempted to intervene. A policeman’s spotlight; momentarily blinding me, and with the portent of another undesired outcome. An angel who appeared, and who as quickly divested himself of substance. The moon, the stars, and the God-given solace which only night affords.


Much like one of those stones that Joshua set up in the Jordan.


  By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol.41. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index



No comments:

Post a Comment