Friday, August 5, 2016

A Bizarre Conversation



I just received a call on my daughter’s cell phone. 


Since my grandson has been in the hospital, and this one was a spare, (and I managed to drop my phone on the road during my nightly 10 mile bike trek) and my wife is using the only car we own, it seemed relevant for me to have some way to interact with the world at large.


As I answered the phone the “talking head” on the other end said,


“Hello, this is (some obscure agency or the other) and we see where you have made an inquiry about information related to a degree. May I ask what your current plans are, and how we might assist you?”


To which I responded,


“I’m sorry. I have so many degrees they call me Dr. Fahrenheit. I just borrowed this phone. I think you must be calling for my daughter. I can give you her number, if you like.”


To which the talking head replied,


“Yes, we see you have requested information related to the human services career field. I would be happy to transfer you to that department.”


To which I once again responded,


“Uh, Miss I just told you I’m not the party to whom you wish to speak. I can give you the correct number…”


To which my very temporary friend replied,


“And so, in regard to your chosen field how may we help you?”


At which point I summarily discontinued the conversation.


Talk about a one way street. 


I was once stopped by a police officer driving the wrong way on a Tampa street. I can honestly affirm that what transpired then could not have been any more bizarre than this particular phone “conversation.”

*I have learned since I wrote this blog that many companies are using an automated phone 'person' these days which has the capacity to mimic conversation with the public, direct their calls, etc. This was a first for me.


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 36. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index




No comments:

Post a Comment