Wednesday, August 24, 2016

An Unbroken Chain



Like every social media junkie, I share interesting and insightful videos on my page; which I have previously seen on the pages of others.


Today was no exception.


For you see, I ran across a rather unusual, but informative segment related to

…the manufacture of chains.

The process is completely automated, as a thin metal bar is run through a machine, and every couple of inches it is gripped by a vice, a high pressure folder bends the bar into an oval shape, and adds the link to the existing link next to it; which continues to pile up on the floor next to the device. Once the chain reaches a pre-determined length, it is re-directed through the same piece of equipment, and a small, but intense torch welds the open space in each steel link.

As a former university professor, counselor, mentor and friend I have often referred to a different kind of chain; stronger and more enduring than all the rest, and incapable of being broken.

And it occurs to me that it might well be referred to as a ‘soul chain.’ For there is, indeed, an unbroken chain of human souls stretching back through the ages; one impacting the next, and he or she who has been the object of such impact, in turn, impacting another.

Of course, this sort of sequence of events is as true of the secular, as it is the spiritual; whether we are ‘talking about’ the generational transfer of knowledge, the progressive nature of technology, or the development of human language.

However, as a pastoral counselor and mentor, I am much more ‘taken up’ with the salvation of, and spiritual enlightenment of those individuals whom God, in His foreknowledge, deigned to set in my pathway.

As Christians, we are part and parcel of an unbroken chain stretching back through the ages; with one or more of the original disciples serving as the initial link, (or links) and who were, ultimately, impacted by the Savior, Himself.

We stand on the shoulders of giants who, by now, have gone on to their rewards. And yet, scripture assures us that they are as alive and aware as they ever were on this side of the heavenly threshold.
In Hebrews Chapter 12:1, we read,

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us…”

Here we have the illusion and allusion of a throng of people filling up a vast stadium, and cheering us on in our quest. Like runners in a relay race, one finishing his course and handing off to another; ‘til the race is concluded.

Faithful pilgrims, all. Some having been hung on crosses, surrendered their necks to the sword, eaten by lions, gone without food and raiment, testified before kings; endured to the end.

And others. Others who simply heeded that age old admonition to stewards, and were found faithful, and rendered up a living witness; rather than a dying one.

An unbroken chain

You and I are links in that chain, if we have been touched by another, and are committed to the same behavior we first observed in our spiritual parent. I have often reflected on my spiritual fathers. Men by the names of William and Jerry. For you see, William ‘bid me come.’ Jerry met me ‘at the foot of the cross.’ (Who were those unbroken links which preceded them, and were I privy to their names I might refer to as ‘grandfather’ or ‘grandmother’)?

In my attempt to reach, teach, impact and encourage the next generation, I often quote a couple of adages which I have picked up along the way, and which speak well to the principle of the unbroken chain.

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

(and)

“I am planting seedlings under whose shade I never expect to rest.”

In the sundry roles which God has lent me, and which I have done my best to exercise this side of eternity, God has granted me the grace to impact the lives of countless human beings. (Precious souls who have gone on to serve as counselors, pastors, missionaries, teachers, nurses, and military chaplains, as well as lay leaders in the church).

Recently, I met a couple of my spiritual grandchildren; unknown to me ‘til after the fact. For so like those adages to which I previously referred, my spiritual children have taken up the mantle which has fallen from my shoulders, and emulating me have served as unbroken links in the chain;

…and have been busy doing the things that they have been taught!

(Glory Hallelujah)

One of my interns once assured me.

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go when you can no longer go. I’ll serve when you can no longer serve. I’ll reach people in your name long after you have gone on to your reward."


Marvelous. Simply marvelous. I cannot quote or write the words without weeping. What a wonderful gift that young lady gave to me that day! Never more precious and profound words have been said in my presence.



One runner handing the baton off to another; understanding the gravity of the mission, but the brevity of his or her life on the earth.


 By William McDonald, PhD. From (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 41. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
**************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index
 










No comments:

Post a Comment