Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Stay Encouraged

I was a member of the U.S. Air Force at the time, and my wife and I were attending a large church in Tampa. 
 
And as is the case with many evangelical churches, Pastor Matheny occasionally brought in guest speakers. However, this time around the guest evangelist was, to say the least, different than all the rest who proceeded him.

Other than his Mississippi accent, Rev. Brown possessed one particular trait which separated him from every other evangelist with whom I’d been acquainted in my (at that time) 20+ years of life on this planet. (And to be sure, I’ve never seen that trait recreated in the almost half century since).

Now and then, as the good reverend reached a point in his sermon which he thought worthy of a figurative exclamation mark, he would throw out his right leg at a 45 degree angle. I suppose this occurred all of six or eight times during the course of every 45 minute message, and which he faithfully performed throughout the one week series of revival meetings.

The last night of his meetings finally arrived, and as his final sermon concluded, the audience was invited to ‘q up’ and wish the evangelist ‘God speed;’ as he prepared to travel to his next engagement. And although I have stood behind numerous pulpits and counseled thousands, I still possess a bit of introvertism I seem to bring to certain situations. However, this was obviously not one of them, since I had especially enjoyed the evangelist’ messages, and his strange little mannerism struck me both humorous and unique.

As the line ebbed, and I brought up the rear, I reached out to shake the good preacher’s hand, and he reciprocated. And looking me directly in the eye, Rev. Brown said something no one had said to me before, (nor since).

…“Stay Encouraged.”

I have previously written about those people whom you meet once in a lifetime, but whose impact lingers for as long.

The little waitress in California named Jamie who bore an uncanny resemblance to the television character, “Anne of Green Gables,” and whose photo my wife and I procured before departing the premises.

Bob, a mental patient in the same facility as my daughter, who sadly informed me that,

“nobody comes to see me here. Not my daddy, not my mama, not my family” (and) “Would you hug me?” 

(Which I proceeded to do right there in front of God and everybody).

Gary, a college student and summer hiker on the Appalachian Trail, whom my dad invited to share our North Carolina campsite, and with whom we wiled away the hours prior to retiring for the night.

The unidentified woman who approached me and a couple of other National Guardsmen, as we stepped out of a local McDonald’s in the Homestead area of Florida; after the devastation of Hurricane Andrew. Our M-16’s hung from our shoulders, ‘Jane’ (as in Jane Doe) stepped up to me, wrapped her arms firmly around me, and exclaimed, “You guys don’t know how much we appreciate you being here for us,” and quickly stepped away.

I cannot begin to guess what became of Rev. Brown, (nor for that matter, Jamie, Bob, Gary or Jane) and yet I am the better for, as brief as our passing was, having known them.

God knows how many times I have reflected upon those two words which the evangelist bequeathed to me, how I have found succor in them, and which I have countless times offered to others in my various and sundry roles as Counselor, Professor, Minister and Friend.

There’s a wonderful verse in my favorite book of scripture which has as its core a similar implication.

“But day by day, and as long as today shall last continue to encourage one another.” (Hebrews 3:13)

We live in difficult times; times in which many of us are bowed down with doubt, discouragement and despair. I like to believe that I have exercised my role of encourager well, and that I have offered my clients, students, parishioners and friends much the same thing someone once offered me.

Life is too brief and too fraught with pain to withhold the healing balm of our words and actions.

Dear Readers,

...Stay Encouraged.


  By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 40. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
************** 

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index





No comments:

Post a Comment