Friday, July 22, 2016

Swimming in a Muddy Hole

I recall as a boy of eight or ten digging a swimming pool. 

Well, to be fair a small hole in the ground under a large oak tree. It’s a bit nebulous now, but apparently a friend and I filled the depression with water; as the result of trailing a couple of lengths of hose from an outside spigot across a dirt road and up to that old tree. And having filled the hole with water, we summarily plopped into the minute morass.

They say that, “everything that glistens is not necessarily gold.” Well, to be sure the theory was much more impressive than the reality. I quickly learned that beyond the rather uncomfortable state of affairs beneath my posterior, since I found myself sitting on a myriad of tree roots, the water around me was a muddy brown, and was quickly turning my skin and clothing the same complexion.

Needless to say, I didn’t linger in what amounted to a big mud puddle any longer than it took to momentarily immerse my lower extremities in it.

Fast forward half a decade.

I had contracted with a Mr. Pickens to pull weeds out of his caladium patch each afternoon; at the whopping hourly rate of $1.25 hour. Having jumped off my old school bus #149, and eaten a quick sandwich, I must have retraced that pathway to “hell’s little acre” for the course of a couple of years. It was hot, back breaking work; bending my spine at a 90 degree angle; while dragging a bushel basket behind me. Did I mention the dirt beneath my feet represented the remains of the rich flora which existed before you or I graced this planet? Muck. Dark, deep muck. 

And as the sun dipped low on the horizon, I turned my steps towards home, and a well-deserved supper and an hour or so behind my parent’s B&W television. Mama insisted that I come in the back porch door, and strip down to my skivvies before entering the house. Since, as you might well imagine, my face, and arms and hands, (and everything else) was black with the rich loom of the nearby caladium fields.

In the past half century, I have often driven past the fields of my adolescent labor, and reminisced about a season to which I have little or no desire to return. Those oddly-shaped, multi-colored plants are gone now, and the weeds, against which I so courageously struggled, have finally won the battle.

And more than once I have been tempted to return to whatever remains of my all too theoretical swimming pool, if for no other reason than to gaze up into the branches of that old oak tree, and to retrace the outlines of a shallow depression into which I so naively immersed myself.

Looking back, it occurs to me that whereas the former diversion was a fleeting fancy of fun, the latter of the two was a bit more ‘there there’ in nature; and to which I devoted ligament-stretching, spine-wrenching work. The former, frivolity. The latter fatigue. Each preoccupation leaving me some the worse for wear, and covered up with abject filth.

And it seems to me that these youthful experiences represent more than reminisces, and offer us a spiritual application.

For I think the so-called ‘carnal Christian’ is always a bit too close and too willing to immersing himself or herself in the mire of his own making, or at least choosing. Too taken up with the excesses of this life to be much heavenly good. Too enamored with frivolity, and too estranged with fatigue. 

But there is the wise man, he who is taken up with the affairs of His Lord, and who bends his proverbial back on a recurring basis. And in so doing ‘rubs shoulders’ with the vilest of men, and cruelest of circumstances. And though oft be-smudged, yet only momentarily, and only superficially, by the spiritual darkness which surrounds him.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 40. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
************** 

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment