Monday, July 18, 2016

Falling Into the Same Manhole Twice



I think it’s important to ‘capture the memories’ while you may, and before forgetfulness or death deletes ones remembrances for all time.


My mother told a couple of stories relating to my dad.


My father labored long and hard as a roofer in Miami back in the early 50’s, and as many roofers are prone to do, ‘picked up a cold one’ (or perhaps more than one) after he came down the ladder for the final time each day. (A habit he picked up in the Navy during WWII). And it might be said that daddy didn’t do it alone. His buddies often joined him in the revelry. 


Well, it seems one particular day my dad drank more than even he was wont to do, and ‘barged’ into the house about 10pm; ‘drunk as a skunk.’ Story is he ‘cut the fool’ and ‘carried on something fierce.’ But after regaining his sensibilities, he realized the error of his ways, and made the statement,


“Erma, I am SO sorry. I realize I made an a_ _ of myself in front of you and our children. I will NEVER drink that much again, and you, nor the children will EVER see me that way again!”


Well, I was obviously too young to remember the event; (since I don’t). However, my father’s vow reminds me of a story which I often tell to my counseling clients.


“There was once a woman who walked down a particular sidewalk, and she suddenly fell into an uncovered manhole. It so happens the same woman walked down that same sidewalk for the next 30 days, and (you guessed it) fell into the same manhole 30 more times! The first time was a mistake. The next 30 times was a decision.”

My dad decided not to fall into that proverbial manhole more than once, and to my knowledge he kept his promise.


  By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 40. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
************** 

If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment