Friday, May 13, 2016

Going On Down the Road



I was just watching a video on social media which featured a young white guy dressed in a dark suit, surrounded by four or five black guys dressed in orange blazers. They’re standing in a restaurant populated by a couple of dozen customers seated at tables. 

Suddenly, the “main attraction” begins to sing. 

“I’m quitting this job today.
 I’m quitting this job.
 I’m going on to better things.
 I’m quitting this job today.”

And of course the chorus line backs him up with a harmonious croon.

Well, I didn’t “go out” quite that impressively, but perhaps something just short of it.

When I left UPS after 20 years they gave me a cake, and a moment to say something just prior to jumping in my truck to deliver my route for the last time. 

I said, 

"Well, even after 20 years on this job, hopping off and on the truck, lugging packages, dealing with customers, (etc.) I can still dance a jig," (and I did a little two step) "and I can still do pushups with the best of 'em," (and I dropped down and did four or five one handed pushups) "and I can still kiss the boss," (and perhaps to her chagrin, I leaned over and kissed my...female... boss on the cheek).

I surmise that among thousands of UPS drivers, (with those sexy tanned legs) who retired that year, my parting speech had to have been among the most memorable.

 (It was certainly memorable to me).


By William McDonald, PhD.  Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary," Vol. 36. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************


If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  
Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment