Monday, May 2, 2016

DYING TO SELF. Pt. 2



Dying to one’s self

It doesn’t seem all that preferable or convenient, does it?

And yet, dying to self can be among the most crucial things we ever have the privilege of doing. For it is in dying to self that we are provided the opportunity to live out the most productive of all lives.

As I write this blog, I am listening to an internet broadcast referred to as “Night Sounds.” Tonight’s topic is an interesting one.

Pruning

I can’t speak for the manner in which vegetative life responds to it, so much as I can speak to the way I respond to it.

My friends, it ‘ain’t’ fun.

And yet, it is in pruning that a tree, and human kind are provided the opportunity to bear more fruit than we might have otherwise born. But whereas a shrub has no wherewithal to give ascent to this most basic of all gardening processes, we, as Christians, are called to submit to the Father’s will in this matter. 

For it is in our identification with the Master, and our willingness to surrender our lives that we have been offered the wherewithal to make an inestimable difference in this life. It is, after all, only in experiencing the most despicable of human circumstances, and successfully navigating them that we are thoroughly prepared to walk beside another who finds himself in similar distress.

As a counselor I have often urged my clients to clothe theory in reality; to take that one hour of weekly theory I provide them, and to put it into practice the remaining 167 hours of the week. 

Outside of simply cooperating in the theory called ‘Dying to Self’ how then would we have any insight into whether that process is playing itself out in a manner in which even our Creator might approve?

There’s a wonderful passage in the First epistle of Peter which reads,

“We serve a God who judges men according to their actions.”

For you see, my friends, it’s all about action. Theory is wonderful, but the behavior which follows; well, that’s where it’s at.

I came across a bit of writing some time ago. I have long since forgotten whether it was my own work, or that of another. I’d like to share it with you.

(To be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD.  Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary," Vol. 36. Copyright pending


If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************


If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  
 

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index

No comments:

Post a Comment