Monday, May 2, 2016

DYING TO SELF. Pt. 1



The Living Dead

We’re all familiar with the foregoing terminology, and its import among our entertainment culture. However, as least in terms of this particular blog I’m not referring to the fictional kind of “living dead.”

(This first paragraph of my story should peak your attention).

I’m currently doing a topical series on Sunday nights on the little spoken of, but rather crucial topics in the Christian faith.

In Galatians 2:20, we read,

“I am crucified with Christ. Nevertheless, I live. Yet not I, but Christ lives in me. The life that I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.” 

Dying to self

Oh, I’m not talking about surrendering your name and identity. There’s any number of news reports, at any given time, about individuals who have had their identities stolen, and spent untold amounts of time, energy and money to restore them. 

Jesus urged us to surrender our selfish aims and ambitions and to take up our cross and follow after Him. It was He who implied that our highest and best might be achieved in this fashion. I mean, the very notion of the cross is abhorrent to the secular, the agnostic, the atheist, and people of other persuasions. 

I mean, after all, they used to nail thieves and murderers on those wooden crossbeams, didn’t they? And there they remained until the shock and agony overwhelmed them, and the final drop of blood drained from their bodies.

And yet, our Lord seemed to associate the cross with something necessary, and even preferable.

Crucified with Christ? Take up your cross and follow Him? Dying in order to truly live?


Odd phraseology, indeed.

I suppose of all Christian attributes, the notion of at least figuratively (and perhaps literally) dying with our Savior intrigues me the most. For He has told us that unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it will never experience the opportunity to bring forth fruit. 

Surrender is a difficult dynamic. To surrender one’s life to the seeming whims of an unseen Creator, and entrust one’s self to the highest and best He has for us; the very plans He planned for us… before He made the worlds.

(To be continued)



By William McDonald, PhD.  Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary," Vol. 36. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************


If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  
 

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index











No comments:

Post a Comment