Friday, May 13, 2016

2 Outta 3 Ain't Bad



It was January of 1961, and President Kennedy was being inaugurated. I sat in a classroom with twenty other sixth graders watching the images of the event on a black & white television. 

It was during that year that the students in our classroom were given the opportunity to run for 

SAFETY PATROL

And since I fancied myself an ideal candidate for the job, I immediately “put my name in the hat.” 

As I recall, Mr. Ball passed out paper ballots, and we were instructed to choose several from among those students who were on the list. 

I was not chosen

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I was more than disappointed. 
I was rejected and dejected

Fast forward over half a century.

Yesterday as my wife and I were cleaning out our garage, I found a certificate. At the top, in black block letters, were the words, 

SAFETY PATROL

And under the words, the name of my (now) 37 year old daughter, KRISTY

I had forgotten she had been a member of that prestigious little club.

And lo and behold, a few days after I discovered my daughter’s attractive little document, my grandson, NOAH, was appointed to his school’s 

SAFETY PATROL

(I guess they’ve gotten past the archaic practice of voting for that position).

I suppose 2 outta 3 ain’t bad

But perhaps I have, for all intents and purposes, finally joined that prestigious little club since in my role as a manager with a local construction company, I now present a weekly safety meeting to our work crew.

There’s an old adage, “Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.”

I’m thinking I’ll order the T-shirt…

SAFETY PATROL

For all you guys who didn’t vote for me. 

Well, in your face, guys and gals!!!


By William McDonald, PhD.  Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary," Vol. 17. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above
***************


If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  
 


Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the index




No comments:

Post a Comment