Friday, April 7, 2023

STEPPING OFF THE STAGE a.k.a. AL ROKER'S SHADOW

 4,040

The other day I was watching the evening news and Lester Holt brought Al Roker on to speak briefly about some inclement weather in the Midwest. Of course, Al pointed at his handy dandy map of the U.S., and warned of things to come. Two minutes later, the heir apparent to Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather thanked Mr. Roker, and he existed the stage to his right. As he disappeared off the screen, I noticed his shadow on the floor, and which quickly disappeared behind him.

And I was reminded of an event from a decade and a half ago. 

I had planned, organized and conducted a memorial tribute to my 3x great grandfather who was a Scottish immigrant and who fought in the American Revolution. One highlight I'd included in the gravemarking ceremony in south Georgia was a biographical sketch about my ancestor, and presented by yours truly. I was arrayed in my Army dress blue uniform; fitting I thought given my ancient grandfather's military service.

Now, the local president of The Sons of the American Revolution stood up and introduced me and the nature of my tribute.

"At this time, Staff Sergeant William McDonald, Isham's great great great grandson is coming now to share a brief, brief message concerning his ancestor's life."

As you might imagine, I thought,

"Brief, brief? Hmmm, if you haven't noticed I'm the one who organized this ceremony. And as you so aptly alluded, Isham was my beloved ancestor. I can tell you what I'm about to share with his descendants will be anything but 'brief, brief.'"

My wife and I have often laughed when we have reminisced about that day.

But you know, that life I was preparing to honor in my speech that day, (as well as my own) was (and will be) very "brief brief;" almost as brief as the famous weather man's shadow as he disappeared off the stage.

Scripture tells us that "it is appointed unto man once to die." I have often told people "We just can't stay here." There is a life to live and a heaven to gain. In the meantime, we need to be about living our lives, but preparing for eternity.

by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment