Friday, April 28, 2023

AN OASIS OF WARMTH

 4050

I pedal an hour a day, (well, more like "0 Dark Thirty,") on my not all that fast, but trusty seven speed bicycle. And by the time the hour has passed, I have traveled seven or eight miles.

I often pedal up to a nearby church, and ride circles and figure 8's in their parking lot. Of course, at 4am not even the janitorial staff are on the premises.

It has been unseasonably brisk at night here in central Florida given we are just days away from the month of May. While the air temperature was 68 degrees F. when I went out this morning, the perceived temperature seemed more like 60 degrees. 

As I pedal around the parking lot of Faith Baptist Church, I often coast under a little alcove (for lack of a better word) which cars drive through to pick up their older adults and kids after the service. And the first time I ever rode under that drive through this past winter, I noticed something both interesting and strangely comforting.

The lights above the overhang heated the air beneath it, and the temperature here was easily five degrees warmer. As you might imagine, given the outside temperature of 48 degrees one night this past December, I quit pedaling, and luxuriated in the relative warmth of this little oasis.

As I pedaled through the alcove for the 23rd time this morning, (and momentarily stopped for the 18th or 20th time), I experienced a thought that hadn't occurred to me the first twenty three times. 

"You ought to be that alcove of warmth for those whom God sets in your pathway."

Hebrews 3:13 admonishes us,

"But day by day and as long as today shall last continue to encourage one another."

And then in Galatians 6:10 we read,

"As we have opportunity let us do good to all men especially to them who are in the household of faith."

And finally 1st Peter 1:17 reminds us that,

"We serve a God who judges men according to their actions."

Sometimes our world can be cold and discouraging. I think we all need to be that little alcove of light and warmth where those who cross our pathways can luxuriate in a kind word, a hug, or a bit of guidance "for just such a time as this;" which has the potential to make all the difference in a sad or troubled life.

by William McDonald, PhD




No comments:

Post a Comment