Monday, January 20, 2020

A MOMENTARY EXPERIENCE ON AN ELEVATOR IN GLASGOW

My wife and I enjoyed the vacation of a lifetime last year. We had often wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland, and were determined to do so by our 70th birthdays. And true to our intentions, we just managed to do so 'by a whisker.'
Our hotel in Glasgow, Scotland stood on the banks of the Clyde River, (or River Clyde, as they are prone to refer to it 'over there'). We were just fifty feet from a beautiful bridge which spanned the river, a hundred yards from the convention center in which the now world famous Susan Boyle was awarded second place in "Britain's Got Talent," and an ancient overhead ship-building crane, for which the wonderful city is known, was just seconds away from the front door of the hotel.
On our second day in Glasgow, I boarded an elevator to take me up to our room on the third floor. And it so happened that a middle-aged, fairly non-descript man stepped on the elevator with me. I must have greeted him with a, "How are you." And recognizing my accent he said, "Are you an American?" And I evidently responded in the affirmative. (I could not be sure, and I did not ask, but based on the stranger's own peculiar accent, I surmised he was probably a native of this country).
As the elevator moved quickly towards my third floor destination, referring to the Second World War, my short-term acquaintance mused,
"Ah, we are so grateful for what your great country did for us; coming over here to help us" (and) "those dear, dear American lads. How we love and appreciate them even today."
And with this the elevator reached its destination, the doors opened, I nodded, and stepped off.
It was just a momentary, circumstantial sort of thing, lasting all of a minute, and yet I will remember my brief interaction with this fine gentleman; as long as I live, and move, and breathe on the earth.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment