Wednesday, January 8, 2020

TWO SPARROWS



There are a multitude of things people do to increase their chance for success; many of which have more to do with superstition than ambition.



Of course, in terms of the negative, we are all familiar with the admonition not to walk into the path of a black cat, and avoid walking under ladders or breaking mirrors. And then on the proactive side, there are those who consult a Ouija board, fortune teller or daily horoscope.



I have often thought how foolish it is to invest trust in a few ‘prophetic’ words which may have been dreamed up by some fat guy at a kitchen table, and submitted to a newspaper for publication. From my way of thinking the so-called “signs of the zodiac” are, after all, such a crock, as if the entirety of earth’s population can be divided into neat little cookie-cutter groups, and the date on which we were born has anything at all to do with our destinies. As someone once said, “It’s not the stars which ought to be worshipped, but rather the God who made them.”



In the past week, we just stepped from one decade to another, and we find ourselves in the year 2020. (Sounds like a TV series or eye exam, doesn’t it)? And as one year gives way to another, it is common, at least in the South, to eat black-eyed peas, pork and corn bread on New Year’s Eve. Someone came up with the theory that doing so would guarantee the consumer success in the forthcoming year, and the certainty of being alive to celebrate the next New Year’s Eve. However, given the promise of Hebrews 9:27, (go on, look it up) I’m prone to believe that a number of people who eat this stuff won’t be with us a year from now.

Pt. 2

As a man who has always been prone to think for himself, rather than simply buying into such notions which I have previously enumerated, I have rejected all of the above. Why, there have been times I have tested my so-called ‘fate’ and purposely walked under a ladder, or walked into the path of a black cat. Not only so, but I avoid eating the standard fare on New Year’s Eve, in favor of something more tasty, and I wouldn’t read a horoscope if someone offered me a hundred dollars.



However, something happened this past New Year’s Eve which got me thinking.



To be sure, this particular something got my attention big time, and encouraged me no end, and from my way of thinking served as a promise for the entire year to come.



For you see, as I was looking out my living room window, I noticed a tiny creature, the likes of which I hadn’t seen in years; at least not in my front yard. A sparrow. It was simply hopping around pecking at the ground, and without so much as a care in the world. And just hours after the ball dropped in Times Square, I peered out my living room window again, and noticed two sparrows in the act of doing much the same thing.



And I could not help but think of the words of our Savior in the New Testament.



Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So, don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31)



And whereas, I cannot buy into horoscopes and superstitions, the presence of those sparrows in my yard, and the two thousand year old words of our Savior are portents of God’s love for me, and His promises to meet my needs, and to inscribe the next 365 unwritten pages of my life’s volume, and to do it better than I ever could without His abiding presence in my life.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share of save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment