Saturday, January 4, 2020

BUDDY RETURNS


                                                               

As I laid down for a nap yesterday, and my feet settled against a pillow at the foot of my bed, I experienced a moment of insight which had escaped me for just short of a decade and a half.



My little Buddy used to lay on a pillow at the foot of my bed, as we retired for the night, and she did so on a recurring basis over the course of ten years. And as has been the case since the dawn of creation, among man and beast, alike, there came a day when she prepared to meet her Maker.



Strange, about a week before that memorable day, I was holding her in my arms, and she began to shiver. Upon reflection, I wondered if she was experiencing some sort of premonition of what lay just ahead of her.



My precious pooch had not been eating well, and as unusual as it may sound, the last morsel of food she ate was a sliver of chocolate. I know. There is the admonition that you not feed your dog chocolate. But I had always given her a wee bit of the sugary stuff when I chose to eat it. And it never seemed to harm her, nor any of my other dogs, in the slightest.



And then came that last all-too memorable night.



It had only been ten years since the little Shih Tzu wandered up into our yard. At the time she could not have been a year old. Not long after her death, I surmised she had succumbed to liver failure, the result of years of steroidal medication; prescribed for severe allergies, and which prevented her from scratching her eyes out.


Pt. 2



Buddy only began displaying the most overt symptoms of her fast-approaching demise after we retired that night. She began hyperventilating, and after she’d done this for a few minutes, her breathing slowed perceptively. And this pattern continued for the next six or eight hours.



And though it was excruciating to watch, I could not put her on her doggie bed, or transfer her to another room in the house. Couldn’t, shouldn’t, wouldn’t. I had stood beside her this far, and she me, and I would see her through this almost intolerable night. Of course, I realized she was not long for this world, and I did my best to soothe her fears, and help her make the passage from this life to the next.



And of course, I experienced little or no sleep that night, and I somehow acclimated to Buddy’s laborious breathing; knowing that she was on the threshold of the proverbial rainbow bridge. And as the first rays of the morning sun played on the fringes of the light blue curtain which graced my bedroom window, I looked into the eyes of my dear little pooch, and understood how close she was. And then I noticed the pasty pallor of her little tongue. And I knew she was close. And indeed, minutes later she pitter patted across the flower-strewn, well-traveled old bridge.



I have previously written about several ethereal manifestations I experienced over the next couple or three weeks, including the sudden appearance and almost immediate disappearance of a small white pooch during one of my nightly neighborhood strolls.



Pt. 3



A couple or three nights after my little Buddy passed from here to there, I was attempting to sleep when I sensed the presence of something beside me. However, it was so much more than a sensation since this ethereal being, though invisible, had assumed weight, and I felt it, (or should I say “her”) lying hard against my right shoulder.



And then… respiration. Breathing such as a small furry critter might manifest. Neither extremely fast, nor extremely slow.



However, if you have not yet forgotten it, I began this writing with an allusion to an insightful moment which has only occurred to me a decade and a half after my little Buddy’s passing.



You recall that when I laid down for my nap yesterday ‘it’ just occurred to me. The respiration of that little unseen phantom which laid hard against my right shoulder that night was sure and steady. My precious little friend no longer labored for breath. She was fine and dandy now, and bereft of the malady which took her from me, and that far too soon.



And I have often mused that if any of God’s creatures, great or small, deserved the opportunity to come back and reassure the one who loved her best on the earth, and found the wherewithal to do so, well, I am convinced that Buddy did. 

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment