Saturday, November 16, 2019

WITH THE PERSPECTIVE OF TIME


I have some old letters in my possession written by my great Uncle, and great Grandfather in the early part of the last century.


It is both interesting and poignant to read my uncle’s love letters to his prospective bride before he had a clue that she would say, “I do,” and prior to the happy couple entering into a marital relationship which would last “til death did they part.”


It is inestimably sad to read my ancient grandfather’s letter to his daughter; written from a prison cell. He had been falsely accused of the murder of a couple who ran a mom & pop convenience store, and encouraged his daughter, (my grandmother) to just forget him. (While he received a full pardon, my great Grandfather, unexplainably, died the week he was released from prison). 


Ultimately, as we all will, each in his or her own turn succumbed to their common fates, and stepped across the divide which separates heaven and earth.


Somehow, like those old letters which I have been reading, written by my ancestors who has passed from the scene, it helps me to surround the trials, troubles, turmoil, and yes, the triumphs of this life with the perspective and momentariness of time. 


One day someone, perhaps one of my descendants, may read this particular reminiscence, and appreciate the words I have written, but also put them in the perspective of time which has passed, and mentally acknowledge that the struggle has ended, the one who penned these words is no more, (at least not a member of this passing sphere), and smile knowing I am happy and healthy, and in a better place, and whatever impact God gave me has been faithfully accomplished, and the reward is finally mine.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending


No comments:

Post a Comment