Tuesday, November 19, 2019

PERSONAL PRAISES


Over the past couple of days, I have been lauded by several people. 


To be sure, “Words of Affirmation” is my first love language. I love to be complimented, but only because positive verbal feedback provides me a gauge of the impact which I am managing to exercise upon those whom God has set in my pathway.


I attended a wedding for a couple whom I know, and love this past weekend at a scenic location in Central Florida. As the reception was drawing to a close, I walked out of the building in which it was held, and suddenly the groom was right behind me. His words were nothing short of wonderful.


“Dr. Bill, I want you to know that I and my new bride appreciate you so much. There are a few people who have impacted us in a significant manner, and you are one of them. We have benefited so much from your wisdom, and guidance, and we are thankful for your part in our lives.”


And I thought, “Are you talking about me? Surely, you aren’t talking about me.” Well, not exactly, but his words did overwhelm me with silence for a moment.


And I responded with… well, I’ll get back to that.


And then, there was someone with whom I have interacted for several months who told me, “I am blessed to have you in my life. You have been such a wonderful counselor, mentor and friend to me.”


And there is an overseas social media friend who praised my effort as a counselor, when she wrote, “You have done a wonderful job.” (and) “I am proud to be your friend, and I always will be!”


But to return to the first situation which I have recounted for you.

After the groom dropped those amazing words on my proverbial head, and in the fleeting moments which transpired before I responded, I thought of a scene from the movie, “Forrest Gump.”


Forrest and Bubba have just reported for duty in South Vietnam. And within minutes after meeting their superior office, Lieutenant Dan says,


“There are tons of Viet Cong in this area, and they are just itching to kill themselves some of Uncle Sam’s boys. Don’t you go, and get yourselves killed out there.” And having cautioned his new “grunts,” the good lieutenant directs his gaze into the green wilderness which surrounds them.


And as Forrest contemplates the cautionary words of his platoon officer, he, as it were, “speaks with his mouth shut.” 


“I sure hope I don’t disappoint him!”


And having conjured up that scene from one of the greatest movie classics of all time, I responded to my friend’s amazing words.

“I hope I don’t disappoint you!”


Afterward


Dear readers, after I (almost always) place my right fist on my heart, as if to say, “It has been my privilege to come along side you,” and the initial satisfaction I glean from such words of affirmation subsides, I experience two subsequent responses.


I have been known to point my index finger towards the sky, because I know I am nothing, and can do nothing; without the assistance of the Almighty. I cannot allow the moment to pass without literally, (or at the very least mentally) giving all the glory to God.


And subsequently, it almost always occurs to me to regard such a compliment as a challenge to continue making a difference in lives, and to do it “right well.”


I never want to disappoint anyone who invests their faith in me. I recognize that Excellence requires a daily decision to not only bless, help and encourage deserving people, but to keep myself unblemished, to live out a life of character, and to serve as a role model to those whom God has set in my pathway.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above



No comments:

Post a Comment