Monday, November 26, 2018

THE IMPACT OF AN ANONYMOUS, SOLITARY YOUNG MAN


“I think I decided I wanted to be a writer one summer afternoon in my childhood, when the neighborhood pool I was swimming in was temporarily closed due to lightning. I snatched up my towel and huddled on a big porch with the other kids; waiting out the storm.



The lifeguard sat down on a plastic lawn chair near me, brought out an illustrated copy of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and offered to read it. Most of the kids left, but two or three of us stayed to listen, sitting cross-legged on the floor around him. As he read, I fell so deeply into the narrative that the thunderstorm around me seemed to be rushing out of the words themselves.



My head was ringing with those words as I walked home. I never knew the name of this young man or anything about him, but I never really got over that day, and his momentary influence had everything to do with the career I ultimately chose to pursue. "

(Paraphrase of an interview of Laura Hillenbrand, author of "Seabiscuit")

No comments:

Post a Comment