Friday, November 9, 2018

A MOST UNLIKELY MEETING: A conversation with Mrs. George Wallace


Sometime in the mid to late 80’s, I pulled my UPS truck up to the back door of a sports shop at the Winter Haven Mall in order to make a delivery there. As I exited, and pushed my hand cart up to that rear portal, a late model sedan pulled up beside me, and a middle-aged lady exited the vehicle.

At this point, I don’t recall our conversation, but to be sure we had a short conversation at which time the woman informed me that she was Cornelia Wallace, none other than the former wife of the Alabama governor, and presidential candidate, George Wallace. (She had grown up in Winter Haven Florida, knew the owner of the shop to which I was delivering, and was planning to enter by the back door).

As it fell together, one of my counseling clients attended the same church Ms. Wallace attended, and several years after I first met her, my client procured Ms. Wallace’ autograph for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment