Monday, August 20, 2018

BLARNEY CASTLE & MUCKROSS FARM - A Segment From My European Journal


*An Ireland-Scotland Journal Entry - May 2018
Today our group set out for Blaney Castle. Having driven a couple of hours, we arrived. While Jean chose to shop, Kristen, Noah and I walked to the castle and got a couple of outside photos; a bridge and the castle behind us. However, I was the only one who chose to climb the steps leading to the top of the castle, and the “kissing stone.”

I was ‘struck’ with how narrow the 132 steps were; no doubt due to the smaller feet of people 500-1000 years ago. I found myself turning my feet sideways to negotiate the steps, though my 9 ½ sized shoe is nothing unusual in our day and time. When I arrived on the roof of the castle, I watched as a couple of men prostrated themselves; while a ‘holder’ kept them from falling on their heads. (Wall smoochers are expected to tip the apparently low paid employee of the castle). 
I had little or no interest in following the lead of my compatriots, as there is a rumor that the holders vent their anger (or drunken hilarity) by urinating on the wall after the gates are shut.

Eventually, I took the exit portal which lead down another flight of equally narrow stone stairs, worked my way to the bottom, purchased a sandwich at a concession, bought a couple of gifts and found my way to the bus. From here we traveled to Killarney and checked into the nicest hotel yet. The Plaza. Even the bathroom floor appeared to be constructed of marble.

Tonight, our group visited what I understand to be an active farm; at least a 1930 recreation of one. (Referred to as 'Muckross') We were introduced to two wonderfully large draft horses weighing about a ton each, and standing taller than a man at the ears. Definitely the tallest horse I have every met face to face.

From here we were divided into three dining rooms, and supped on a potato cake pastry, bread and churned butter, Irish stew with lamb, potatoes and carrots, bread pudding and Irish coffee.

As the meal wore on, a young man and woman played the flute, hand held pipes, accordion and hand drum, and sang several selections. I especially enjoyed the young lady’s renditions. She is such an accomplished singer. At this point, they invited anyone who would to provide a musical rendition, and Jean volunteered me to sing. As a result, I sang an acapella version of “Amazing Grace.” (I had prayed that I might be afforded an opportunity to impact the people of Ireland, so I believe God honored my prayer in this regard). 
I received many nice comments, and it seems I surprised a few of my fellow travelers. Having reflected on it, it is very poignant that I was afforded the opportunity to sing the same song I sang at my parents’ memorial services here in the Old Country; from whence so many of our ancestors sprang.

After dinner our entire group assembled in a larger room, and the young man and woman serenaded us again, and we received them with cheers and applause.
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment