Friday, September 29, 2023

THERE MAY BE SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER SEEN ME PLAY

 4135

Someone once asked Joe Di Maggio, the 20th century baseball legend, “Joe, why do you always give it your all. Why do you literally exhaust yourself every time you go out on the field?”

 

     Well, Joe thought a moment, and provided the listener a wonderful reply. “Because there may be someone in the crowd who has never seen me play.”

 

      I served in The United States Air Force, The Air National Guard and The Army National Guard for over twenty years. The later service, and its parent service, The United States Army, have as their motto – “Be all that you can be.” That’s what old Joe was talking about.

 

     Hebrews 12 urges us… “Seeing how we are compassed by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us strip off everything that hinders us, and the sin that so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1-2, KJV)

 

     Track and Field was a “biggie” in Grecian times. We see several runners strung out across the lanes of the dusty track. We notice their breathlessness, as they are so intensely focused on the task at hand. But then we notice something a bit more obvious, a bit more startling. For before us they strut and fret and begin to run quickly forward, without a stitch of clothing on their lean, but muscular frames. But before you blanch with embarrassment, the entire audience are men.

 

     The writer of Hebrews had this example in mind when he wrote his 12th chapter. “Let us strip off everything that hinders us,… and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.”

 

     I see the fulfillment (and the lack thereof) of this scripture day in and day out. For I am administrator of a local addictions group. So many start out well, and seem to “play well,” but their strength soon wanes, and their determination fades quickly. Others however, run the race, not with ease, but with extraordinary effort and commitment to a cause. Their unblinking eyes never lose sight of the track ahead. They run the race well. They not only stay clean, but they get free.

 

    They have stripped off everything that had previously bound them to the past, and all it’s “dysfunction” and negative behaviors. They “draft” off those who run ahead of them. They have learned the “tricks of the trade.” They hear the cheers of the crowd, and are encouraged by these disembodied voices. They focus on the finish line, straining every sinew and every ligament to gain the prize. Their lungs gasp for precious oxygen, and every respiration comes with great effort. But these are those who wear the crown.

 

     I ran such a race numerous times, as I fulfilled the requirements of my part-time reserve career. I remember one particular fellow who literally slowed down to run with me. He was so much faster than I, but he sacrificed a better time to help me run my race. You can imagine my encouragement. He saw me through to the end. He gave me strength to believe I could finish that run. I can envision the Son of God running this race of life with me. For He has assumed a role so much like that man in my story.

 

     I remember the distant whistles and yells of the crowd who had already finished the race. I can still see them standing at the finish line. The last few hundred yards were by far the most challenging. But those voices never ceased, and as the volume grew louder, the closer I got to the finish line. I think it must be that way with this run we run. The longer we run and the closer we come to “the tape,” the better we hear those who have gone before, and who proclaim our victory from the stands.

 

Joe Di Maggio had it about right. “Because there may be someone in the crowd who has never seen me play.” They can see us from the portals of heaven, and their voices grow louder as we round the last curve into home.

by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment