Sunday, September 10, 2023

911: A Universal Remembrance. A Personal Irony


911

 

I think every American immediately conjures up two interpretations of these three digits.

 

#1. The phone number one calls in an emergency situation.

 

(and)

 

#2. September 11th, 2001 (911) - You know this date well; (unless you have been hiding under a rock somewhere).

 

However, speaking of the title of this blog, given the length of time which has transpired since 911, it occurs to me that there is a universal remembrance.

 

It has been 22 years since the terrorist attack on the two World Trade Centers in New York City, the Pentagon, and the ill-fated airplane which never reached its intended target.

 

A young person might have easily procured a job position, and retired since those massive towers came tumbling down, the Pentagon was left with an unsightly hole in its side, and the 40 passengers and crew of Flight 93 died in that field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

 

There is not only a universal remembrance, but also a personal irony, again involving the subject of retirement, and it has much to do with this same ghastly attack.

 

For you see, in 1974 I was offered a position as a civilian personnel clerk by the Air Force Finance Office which was located in that five-sided building outside of Washington, D.C. However, after I walked one of the extraordinarily long hallways in that massive place, and interviewed for the job, was officially offered the position, and was about to accept,... I decided against it. At the time I lived in rural Virginia, a full hour from the Pentagon, and I didn't want to devote ten hours a week driving back and forth to a job location.

 

Speaking of my personal irony, it occurs to me that had I accepted the job position in the Pentagon, I might easily have still been working towards my retirement when the aircraft left that gaping hole in the building, and that I might have conceivably died in the carnage.

 

911. Such a universal remembrance and such a personal irony.


by William McDonald, PhD



No comments:

Post a Comment