Tuesday, July 4, 2023

THE INNATE INTELLIGENCE AND SPIRITUALITY OF DOGS

4089

Animals are more intelligent, (and is the word, 'spiritual?') than humans give them credit for.

I am thinking of three personal examples, in particular. 

Our little Buddy, a precious white female Shih Tzu, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 2006. Almost a decade and a half later, I was sitting at a table in a large two story 1890's era house which had been purchased to care for women who had been newly released from prison. At the time, I served as their counselor. As I recall, I was preparing to teach a mentoring class at that moment. It was a large table, and staff and residents sat together for the classes.

Suddenly, "out of the blue" I felt what seemed to be two paws lean against my right leg. And I knew, I just knew. While I didn't say a word to anyone, tears sprang to my eyes. I had experienced several other similar situations which I attributed to Buddy; particularly within days of her 'crossing.' (Interestingly enough, multiplied thousands of former pet owners have reported experiences such as this). 

It was only a few years later that I learned that a dear friend of mine lost her pet pooch approximately the same day that I experienced this sensation. Melodi had been especially empathetic to my loss when Buddy left us. Of course, now I understood "the rest of the story." I believe Buddy was waiting for Angelo when he reached the north end of the Rainbow Bridge, and she wanted us to know that they were happy and healthy, and safe in the arms of Jesus. (Psalm 36:6)

The following incidents happened in the last few days.

Our daughter, Kristy, recently cut our Maine Coon Cat's nails. During the course of the manicure, Milo became uncooperative and began to scratch Kristy. Well, if you know our daughter, she doesn't take "No" for an answer. She continued to wrestle Milo; while all the while getting scratched on the arms and legs. 

Fast forward to today. My wife, Jean, was holding Milo in her lap when she happened to look my way, and told me,

"When Kristy is her for dinner tonight, she plans to cut Milo's one toenail which she didn't get the other day."

Immediately, do not pass go, Milo leaped from my wife's lap, scratching her on one arm in his quest to depart the immediate premises!

We also own a black and white male Papillon pooch. He is used to drinking from a water dish he shares with Milo. A couple of days ago, Toby walked towards the water bowl, and suddenly dropped down on his haunches; looking at it. At first, I couldn't understand his implication. Did he want a bone, or was he soaking in the coolness of the living room tile; as it has been extraordinarily hot in Florida.

And then it dawned on me. 

"Jean, how about changing Toby's water."

My wife walked over and retrieved the dish, took it to the bathroom, cleaned the bowl, filled it with water, and put it back where it had been.

Now, Toby walked over to the water dish and slurped to his heart's content. This same sequence of events has occurred twice more over the next two days.

Some people think dogs and cats are about as smart as they can throw them, and only act on instinct. 

Don't believe them. 

by Bill McDonald, PhD




No comments:

Post a Comment