Saturday, July 1, 2023

A REAL LIFE FORREST GUMP

 4087

In the movie Forrest managed to meet any number of famous people, and to interact with them.
I can relate
Years ago, a famous former major league baseball player, who was attending my church, contacted me about counseling. I met with him and his family several times. Since he is still in the local area, and active with his own charity, I am not inclined to mention his name here.
Then, there was the time when I traveled to Denver for a counseling conference which the counseling association of which I was a member, and "Focus on the Family" co-sponsored. While I was there, I had the opportunity to chat with Dr. James Dobson, the well-known President of "Focus on the Family," and radio host of his own program. I asked him a question. "What is the most important advice you would give to a young pastoral counselor?" He responded. "Well, if I had more time to consider your question, perhaps I would come up with something more innovative, but I would encourage you to 'be loyal to your clients, your pastor, your church, and your God.'" (I always thought he gave me some pretty good advice that day).
In the late 80's, I pulled my UPS vehicle up to the back door of an athletic shop at the local mall; as I was prone to do several times a week. As I stepped out of the passenger side of the truck with a few packages, a late model car pulled up next to me. A dark haired, middle aged woman stepped out, and walked up to where I was standing; waiting for the shop owner to open the back door. She spoke, "Hi, I'm Cornelia Wallace." Of course, she was the former wife of the Governor of Alabama and Presidential Candidate George Wallace of Alabama. She was living in central Florida now, and was friends with the owner of the shop; on whose threshold we were standing. I remembered that she had been present when her husband was wounded in an assassination attempt, and had bent down on the ground next to him. (Of course, I had seen the famous photo of the event). Mrs. Wallace and I chatted a minute before the shop owner opened the door. I later asked a friend to get her autograph for me, as she attended the same church as the former First Lady of Alabama.
A couple of decades ago, my wife and I were attending an evangelical conference near Tampa, which included several speakers. We were interested in hearing one rather well-known lady, in particular, Ruth Graham, the daughter of Rev. Billy Graham, the internationally known evangelist. I had walked into the main auditorium that day to hear this female evangelist's 1pm message. It so happened that I arrived a bit early, and I was the only person in the place. Suddenly, Miss Graham walked across the stage, paused when she saw me sitting in the third row, center, and said, "I'll be right back!" I responded with, "Uhhh, okay." She would never remember our brief intersection, but, I assure you, I will always remember it.
Several years prior to her passing, I mailed a letter to Katherine MacGregor, the actress who portrayed "Mrs. Harriet Oleson" of "The Little House on the Prairie" television series. (I had procured her mailing address from the website of Allison Arngrim, her TV daughter, "Nellie," of the same series). Miss MacGregor wasted no time in responding, and sent me a nice postcard in which she answered my questions, and included a hand drawn caricature of herself; (which I discovered was her trademark in all her initial responses to correspondence). If I expected this to be the only reply which I would ever receive, I would be pleasantly mistaken. For you see, I happened to mention a distant cousin of mine who claimed that she knew Katherine, and that she'd appeared in the local California Little Theatre with her. As a result, I would not "'hear the end of it." Not only did Miss MacGregor deny knowing my cousin, "Sandra," but she continued to write several more letters to me which, among other things, alluded to the same topic. Of course, I was courteous enough to respond each time. After several months, the well-known actress wrote a final letter in which she said, "My dear Dr. McDonald, I am getting pretty old, and honestly I don't have time to continue corresponding with you." I laughed when I read that particular line, and I thought, "My dear Miss MacGregor, you, not I, are the one who has continued to send out all those letters!"
A few years ago when I attended a local church here in central Florida, I knew a wonderful elderly man named Andy Bos. At the time, he was in his early 90's. I considered him a friend. I was often fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak in the Wednesday night services, as the pastor depended on two or three of his parishioners to fill in for him on a recurring basis. One night my friend Andy walked up to me after the service, and said, "My grandson is the Hollywood actor Taylor Lautner. He is one of the main characters in the "Twilight" movie series. I have been sending him your Wednesday night CD's. Of course, I was surprised, and have often thought of Taylor, and prayed that he not only listened to my sermons, but that he had been impacted by them.
The year was 2008 and the extended McDonald family were attending a grave marking ceremony in Valdosta, Georgia for my great great great Grandfather, a Scottish immigrant who fought in the American Revolution. It so happened that Sonny Schroyer, the television and movie actor who portrayed "Enos" on "The Dukes of Hazzard" attended the ceremony. He is probably the best known resident of that area. I have no idea why he was inclined to attend. My second cousin told me that he and Mr. Schroyer had once carpooled to university together.
Sometime before my father passed from this life, he told me that we were related to the World War Two Hollywood actress, vocalist and USO performer Frances Langford. It seems daddy was in the audience when Frances once sang in Hawaii during the war, but he was apparently too self conscious to introduce himself. My grandfather knew her well, and my father's first cousin shared the story with me of having once seen her at her childhood home in central Florida in the mid 30's; during the early days of her movie career. In recent years, I met a third cousin, Frances' niece, who grew up along side her. We once met for lunch and have remained in contact with one another.
I think I must be a real life Forrest Gump.

(Fifty plus years ago, I attended a Gospel crusade of the flamboyant female evangelist Kathryn Kuhlman in Tampa, and a similar one in the same city, in which Rev. Jimmy Swaggart was the main course. Years later, I sat in the audience at a nearby Holiness campground where Dale Evans Rogers was the featured speaker. Still later, it was a privilege to hear George Beverly Shea sing at a local church. However, since I did not interact with any of these particular well- known personages, nor have any vital connection to them, they are not included in my official list of those of whom I have written, above).
by William McDonald, PhD
Like
Comment
Share


No comments:

Post a Comment