Friday, July 21, 2023

HAVE YOU BEEN INTRODUCED TO...

 4095

Pt. 1

Over the past thirty years, I have experienced the distinct privilege of counseling untold thousands of clients in seven different locations. And in spite of the multitude of people whom I have intervened for, I continue to hear new stories, and intervene for new issues.

However, if you have any idea that I am about to share some confidential information about one or more of those clients... you would be sadly mistaken. Not the purpose of this blog. Simply not where I am going with this blog.

I had just driven to what I would describe as a suburb of a city of  100,000 plus; to a church where I offer my counseling services. Walking from my car to the church, I unlocked the door, and unset the alarm system. (It is not unusual for me to see my clients alone, as I have to be available when it is convenient for double income spouses).

No sooner had I done so, than I looked out the door, and I saw a twenty something year old man roll up on a bicycle. He was sweaty, and I hypothesized that he was probably homeless, and perhaps lived under some nearby tree.

Since "Bob" looked pretty innocent, I pushed open the front door, and asked him, 

"What can I do for you?"

The young man smiled, and said,

"Uhh, would you mind if I washed my face and arms off with your water hose?"

I responded with,

"Absolutely, you can. You needn't even ask."

Still smiling Bob replied,

"Well, I didn't want to mess with anything without permission."

Pt. 2

Bob seemed to be a bit more personable, and multi-faceted than the average homeless person I had met. (And I have met bunches of them). 

Now he said,

"Do you know of any work available in this area?"

I shook my head and said,

"No, I wish I could help you. I'm from Winter Haven, and often do counseling when some of the other staff aren't here." (So, there was no one else for me to ask about his inquiry).

(and)

"I didn't bring any money with me." (Which was the truth, but, honestly, I have never been a fan of giving money to the homeless, as I am all too aware many of them spend the money which well-meaning people give them on alcohol and illegal substances).

Bob was quick to say,

"I wasn't asking for money."

I smiled and changed the subject. (My question even surprised me, as I am not the boldest witness for my Lord and Savior who He ever "invented").

"Have you been introduced to Jesus?"

(Funny, I have never asked this question in the exact manner I asked it now).

Bob's gaze had drifted to a flowering plant next to the front door of the church. However, with this question he looked me in the eyes, and responded with,

"Yes, I met Jesus years ago. I used to attend this church. There was a lady youth pastor here then".

From the context of his answer, his apparent age, and his reference to the youth pastor, I guessed Bob had attended this church when he was an adolescent.

Now, my newfound acquaintance shook my hand, (not sure we had formally introduced ourselves, though my name was monogrammed on my shirt), and turned and pushed his bike towards the water hose. Shortly thereafter I saw Bob pedal out of the parking lot towards parts unknown.

Pt. 3

Momentary ministry. (At least, that's what I call it). The seemingly circumstantially-based opportunity to share the reality, and love of our Savior with someone along our daily pathway.

But, you know, I have often thought that whereas we think of such an opportunity as happenstance, and the sort of "luck of the draw" experience we are prone to have on a given day, that's not at all how God thinks about it.

For you see, my "chance meeting" with Bob was no chance meeting at all. (Don't you believe it)! No, my friends, not by a long shot. For, you see, our Savior and Lord, the great "I AM," the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Bright and Morning Star was aware such an opportunity would befall you or I... before He spoke the worlds and stars into place! (And I can tell you, this reality literally sends chills down my arms)!

Granted, my six word question (which I described above) was fleeting in nature; (but might well have opened up a life-giving discussion). As it was, and based on the nature of his answer, it was apparent that my young friend was all too aware of who Jesus is, and the purpose for which He came. However, it may have been several years since Bob had reflected on Jesus' reality and His claims over his life. 

I'm glad I was afforded the opportunity to remind him.

by William McDonald, PhD






No comments:

Post a Comment