Thursday, December 29, 2022

ANGELS UNAWARES

 3975

"The Great Sinner" was one of three movies in which Gregory Peck appeared opposite Ava Gardner. Over the course of the three movies, the two Hollywood super stars developed an abiding respect for one another, and ultimately became fast friends.

Two years after his dear friend died in 1990, Gregory Peck walked into the Ava Gardner Museum in Smithfield, North Carolina. The aging Peck had long since tired of the being hounded for autographs and photographs whereever he went. And as a result, he had his floppy hat pulled down low over his eyebrows, and peered over a dark pair of sunglasses, 'til he was well into the building.

Business was apparently slow that day, and one of two tour guides offered to show him around the museum, never realizing who the long, bushy haired man was. 

Now, "Marjorie" pointed towards a beautiful gown which Ms. Gardner wore in "The Great Sinner," and began to describe the fabric, and the scene in which the actress wore it.

The stranger smiled now, and replied,

"Oh yes. I remember that gown."

With this, Marjorie felt a little tinkle go up her spine. Stealing a glance to her right, she realized she had been speaking to none other than the illustrious movie star, Mr. Gregory Peck.

He had been there the entire time, and the young tour guide was totally oblivious of who she had been escourting around the museum.

When I heard this story, I immediately thought of that poignant Bible verse.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for in so doing some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

Several months ago, I found myself doing what I do almost every night, well, every morning if you call “dark city” morning. I jump on my slow, but trusty bike and head off on a 10 mile trek.

On this particular morning, I happened to stop at an intersection, preparing to cross a 4 lane highway, and looked to my right. And strangely enough for 4am, I could just make out the form of a fella walking towards me on the sidewalk; perhaps 30 feet away.

Well, not being overly concerned about the man walking in my direction, I glanced one more time to my left, and prepared to “high tail it” across the highway. Mind you, no more than 2 seconds had elapsed since I had noticed the guy walking towards me on the sidewalk, and as I began peddling, I glanced back to my right.

And where a moment before there was what appeared to be a six foot, 170 pound man,

 … only thin air greeted my gaze.

 And since I peddle this same route every day, it’s a familiar environment for me,

 … (and this is the “wild card,”).

 There is a 6-8 foot high wall that runs along that sidewalk, and which borders a gated community. There had been absolutely nowhere for “my friend” to go. He certainly didn’t vault the wall in record time, and since there are plenty of street lights along that stretch of highway, I would have seen him had he walked across the street.

Over the past year I have experienced a rather difficult season; something relating to rejection, and which kicked me in the figurative rear end. And as I reflect on it now, I think it was after this angelic visitation that the dark emotions with which I had contended began to lift.

I believe in angels, seen and unseen, and I’m thankful for their ministry to God’s people. Some have, indeed, entertained angels unawares. 

by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment