Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A FRIEND WHO NEEDS ME

 3964

Speaker of the House of Representatives Sam Rayburn, who served during the mid-20th century, was known for his compassion. One day a friend of his lost a daughter, and, as a result, Mr. Rayburn hurried over to his friend's house.

 

When his friend opened the door, he was surprised to see Sam Rayburn standing there. Mr. Rayburn spoke.

 

"My dear friend. I am so sorry to learn of Marjorie's passing. What can I do for you?"

 

To which his grieving friend replied,

 

"Well, we are in the process of making all the arrangements now"

 

Not to be deterred, Sam responded,

 

"But have you had your coffee?"

 

His friend admitted he had not taken time for breakfast, much less coffee.

 

Now Mr. Rayburn did the least likely thing a national political figure such as he might be expected to do. He squeezed past his friend, and went directly to the kitchen, and began making coffee!

 

His friend was incredulous, and joining Sam in the kitchen, he exclaimed,

 

"Sam, don't you have an important meeting scheduled today with the President?"

 

Mr. Rayburn turned towards him and with a sad smile on his face replied,

 

"Yes, I did have a meeting with the President today, but I contacted him, and told him that I could not come because 'I have a friend who needs me.'"

 by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment