Monday, January 3, 2022

THE BODY OF CHRIST

3836

                                           Ruth Breusch

The year was 1968, and I was a student at Southeastern Bible College, now Southeastern University. (I could hardly have known that, one day, I would have the privilege of teaching at this school).

I was enrolled in a New Testament class, and my professor was a light-hearted English woman named Ruth Breusch; (who interestingly enough was married to a light-hearted Australian man named Percy Breusch).

If I live to be a 103 I will never forget one day in particular. Mrs. Breusch began the class with, to say the least, an unusual story.

“Last night I had a dream. In the dream I was somehow transported to heaven. And I stood beneath the throne of none other than our Lord Jesus Christ.

His brown eyes were piercing to behold. Every strand of His auburn hair was in place. His countenance was radiant. And then,

… then I looked downward.

And what I saw horrified me. For you see, His chest was sunken. His arms were emaciated. Every rib shown through His parchment skin.

And then it occurred to me.

… The Body of Christ.

While the Head is fine and wonderful to behold, thank you, the Body is unhealthy, and in need of attention.”

Christ’ Body. His believers on earth, at least a great many of them, leave much to be desired.

Fickleness, In-fighting, Temptations, Immaturity, Abject Sin.

As scripture reminds us. “These things ought not to be.”

I have often wondered if I am, by chance, my professor’s last surviving student who has recalled and passed on this story to the generation who will follow after me.

If so, I count it a distinct calling, honor and responsibility to do so.

 by William McDonald, PhD

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment