Monday, January 31, 2022

CURTAIN CALL

 


                                                      Glencoe, Scotland - Click to enlarge
3860

I have previously written about the following experience in my “Returning in Their Place” daily journal; which I kept on our trip to Scotland and Ireland four years ago. (England would have to wait, though I would love to see it).

My wife and I were on a two week guided tour to the lands of our ancestors, (as well as the ancestors of a vast percentage of modern day Americans).

I have long since forgotten the name of the Scottish town in which we stopped for the night, or, for that matter, the hotel. Suffice it to say that we were somewhere in central Scotland.

Our tour group gathered in the hotel restaurant about 6pm for our evening meal. It was a large room, and other guests, perhaps another tour group, filled every available seat. There were well more than a hundred people in the place.

I have also long since forgotten whether the hotel provided us any entertainment. There may have been a pianist. There may have been a singer. (However, if we lacked anyone to entertain us, I would soon make up for the lack).

My wife, daughter and grandson sat in the other chairs which surrounded me. We were provided menus and I chose a nice filet of salmon, broccoli and mashed potatoes. (My mouth is watering just thinking about it)! And while we were offered an alcoholic beverage, (white wine was suggested as an accompaniment for my meal), we all declined.

Everything proceeded nominally during the meal, and there was nothing especially memorable about the discussion at our little table. However, (and it was and continues to be a huge “HOWEVER”)…

Pt. 2

However, as the meal neared its inevitable conclusion, I looked to my left, and noticed a curtain; perhaps six or seven foot in width and eight feet in height. And given my general state of curiosity which has accompanied me the past seventy years, I was determined to discover what lay behind it. (Can we say “Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner”)?

As Jean, Kristy and Noah finished off the last few remnants of whatever they happened to be eating that evening, I stood up, and grabbed one side of the curtain; with the intention of peeking behind the heavy non-descript cloth. But now, all my well-intentioned plans “went south.” Whereas, I thought the curtain might have hidden absolutely nothing but a bare wall, I found myself falling into an abyss! And given my precarious (lack of) footing, I attempted to right myself by jerking downward on the curtain.

And now, the top edge of the curtain gave way, and the fabric hooks began to bend, and tear away from the cloth. And now, I felt my hand touch something hard behind the curtain, and I just managed to regain my balance.

During the course of my unfortunate, but admittedly laughable, experience, someone nearby uttered a one syllable word. (Well, not exactly a word). For you see, as I was in the process of falling into the small cavern, my wife emitted a 150 decibel scream!

Having regained my balance, I sheepishly looked around me, and noticed 100 plus men, women and children were looking back at me! For one moment in time, the entire room was so utterly quiet you might have heard a pin drop!

And now, (my wife has often referred to me as “The Master of the Unexpected”) I faced the assembled dinner guests, clicked my heels together, and rendered a slow military salute!

(It occurred to me later that my fellow diners must have thought I had imbibed a couple of liters of that white wine)!

And now, without so much as another word, Jean, Kristy and Noah rose to their feet. What little food still remained on their plates was immediately forgotten. With faces focused on the floor, (and alluding to my previous military implication) we made a hasty retreat.

It's easy to laugh about it now, but it certainly wasn’t funny at the time.


I never did find out what was behind that darned curtain!

by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment