Monday, June 7, 2021

IT'S TIME - My Precious Pooch Prepares for Her Final Journey

I have previously written several accounts of February 12, 2021. Of course, that date would mean little or nothing to most people, but it is one of many singular dates in my own life.

For on this date, almost four months ago at this writing, my dear little Shih Tzu, Queenie, crossed the Rainbow Bridge and joined Princess, Buddy, Bobby and Lucy in a lovely place where, one day, I expect to be reunited with them, along with many of my dearly departed family members.

And as I implied in the first paragraph, I have all but exhausted what I wish to relate about my dear Queenie’s final minutes on earth. However, there are a few things I would like to add to my account of her final weeks as a member of our household.

Queenie’s time with my family and me were quite obviously drawing to a close, and though it would have been easier to ignore “the elephant in the room,” it was becoming almost impossible to do so.

Although we could not be sure of her age since she wandered up in a friend’s yard years ago, the vet thought she was between 16 and 18. She had long since lost all her teeth, and her eyes had developed cataracts. (I could only wonder how much sight remained to her).

But worse than her physical deficits, during the past year, or perhaps somewhat longer, my dear little pooch had been displaying the troublesome symptoms of dementia. Queenie would walk into my bedroom, and moments later she would begin barking, as though she couldn’t find her way out. If and when it rained, she would walk into our hall bathroom, push the door shut, and finding herself in the dark would begin scratching on the door, ‘til she left permanent claw marks in the varnish; (which still remind me that she once graced us with her presence). And then there were times she would jump up on the couch and sit a few feet away from me. (Shih Tzu’s aren’t great social animals). However, whenever my wife would walk by the sofa, Queenie would begin to bark and generally “raise Cain,” as if to say, “Hey, this is my human being. Go find one of your own!”

Pt. 2

Of course, as the days and weeks and months tick-tocked themselves into the annals of my personal history, I began to dread the inevitable. In the movie, “Marley & Me,” there is a scene in which the blonde Labrador’s owner, John, is seated next to his aging pet pooch under a large tree, and surrounded by a beautiful field of grain.

Gazing intently at Marley, John speaks.

“Hey fella, I can’t do this by myself. You let me know. You let me know when it’s time.”

I love that movie, and, of course, given Queenie’s age and symptoms that scene became increasingly relevant to me and my precious pooch. So much so that in the last few months of her life I found myself repeating John Grogan’s words.

“Hey little girl, I can’t do this by myself. You let me know. You let me know when it’s time.”

Of course, a dog is incapable of replicating human speech. But they speak to us, nonetheless. (Yes, they do).

And while Queenie’s troubling symptoms of dementia might well have been sufficient and spoken volumes to most people, it was a more sedate, perhaps almost mundane occurrence which spoke the loudest to me.

Six or eight days before our precious pooch crossed the proverbial Rainbow Bridge, I picked her up and sat down on the sofa. Now she did something she had never done in the seven plus years she spent with us.

Suddenly, her little head drooped onto my left shoulder, as if to confirm what I already knew. And like a whisper in a wind storm she told me.

“It’s time.” 

Afterward

Just days later I stood next to her as the vet did what vets do best (or worst, as the case may be). Queenie resisted slightly, but I held her close, and whispered in her ear. Now she bowed to her fate, and softly pitter pattered across the Rainbow Bridge; a bridge which we must all assuredly cross one day.


by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment